• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraving tutorial question and comments

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engravertom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
per Zonies, request, I will start this thread for your comments and questions about the tutorial.
Thanks Tom ! Now to turn some handles for the gravers/chisels .
How long should the holder be ? I have some Mueller blanks 3/32"x5" long I think .

Those are long, and typically used for hand push work, but they can be used that way. I use chisels like that when i use liners. An overall length of 8-9 inches works well, so you will want maybe 4' for your handle. Others who use shorter tool blanks or chisels will want around 7 inches for their handles. make it comfortable for you.

Take care,

Tom

Tom, I have an abrasive 'Zip' blade and can cut them in half then make a handle to accept shorter chisels . How would that be ?

Bubba45 said:
Tom, I have an abrasive 'Zip' blade and can cut them in half then make a handle to accept shorter chisels . How would that be ?

It might be easier to use them that way. They are typically even too long for hand push work. That is traditionally how they come.

take care,

Tom

marmotslayer said:
Tom, you showed a picture of a bench vise unattached. Is that how you would use it?

No, unless it was a very heavy and well balanced vise. In the past, I have mounted such a vise to a few stacked boards, about 12" by 12", which were attached to a bench via a bolt, so the platform of boards could rotate. I mounted the vise to the rotating boards, allowing the vise jaws to center over the point of rotation. It works pretty well, but you can't tilt the work as easily as with other vises. I plan to provide an illustration for that set up soon.

take care,

Tom

Well, I sure hope your feeling better. :thumbsup:

Take all the time you want to take. When folks (like us) are getting good free advice they shouldn't be pushy. :grin:

You too Tom? I've been sick since Saturday night and I swear it's the flu already!!

TinStar

OK, feeling better, and caught up from being sick. See brief new post, more to come.

Thanks!

Tom

Back