• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ever use TC Maxi Ball or other??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyhunter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking at them, I guess they are called conical type bullets. My 50 cal TC Renegade has a faster twist rate and does not do well with PRB at longer distances. Has anyone ever used conicals? What do you think of them? How accurate are they? What twist rate do they need?

Thanks!

Used them in the 80's out of a 1-48 Renegade and later in a 1-20 White Mountain. Was accurate enough to take a few deer with them. I wasn't totally happy with their performance and moved on to other bullets. I no longer own any T/C'S and now use prb in my guns.

I got a couple of boxes of both TC bullets. This is what I found in one.

2250Crap_TC_bullet.jpg

If I were you I would try the Hornady great plains bullet. They are accurate and deadly on game. Ron

they make good fish sinkers. i shot 2 of the 240gr maxiballs into a deer and it barely killed the deer. Ran a 1/4 after the first shot and then another 1/2 mile after the second hit through both lungs.

Shot .50 cal., 410 gr "Buffalo Bullets" in my TC "Hawken" {1:48} and they were very accurate and took a few elk and whitetails. After I noticed that the "BBs" moved a few times off the powder charge in a clean bbl, went to a .54 PRB. Also the excessive mid-range height only allowed a 60 yd zero and the last elk I shot was at a paced off 107 yds w/ a .54 PRB. Some guys in our party still use the "BBs", are totally satisfied w/ them but check throughout the day w/ the RR if the bbl is clean...Fred

I have used them in 1 /48 twist TC percussion and flint rifles with very good results on the range and to kill whitetails. Never exceeded 100 grains of Goex 2 f under the bullet. Longest shot was about 80 yds but most were 50 yds or less.

I've been surprised how they are still accurate in slow twist barrels. My round ball barrel shoots them accurately.

I've shot 2 deer with conicals: one 6 pointer at 40 yards with a .50cal "buffalo bullet" & a lyman trade rifle, he ran 20 yards. the other was a spikehorn with a T/C maxi-hunter out of a T/C hawken at about 70 yards, he spun around & dropped right where he was standing. both were pass thrus that left gapping exit wounds. both were with 70-75 grs powder.I know it's a small sample, but I like the results so far. but now I'm trying to whack one with a PRB, & hope it works as well!

My first muzzleloader rifle was a T/C Renegade in .54 caliber with a 1:48 twist barrel. Only shot at one deer with it and put it down in its tracks (120 grains blackpowder). If you have worked up a good load and are accurate with it you will have success in the field. The maxi's are harder to find now that other conicals have been produced. But if you have access to a supply, they will serve you well. My 20 year old will hunt with my Renegade this year with the T/C maxi's. At the range he shot it well.

Idaho Ron said:
I got a couple of boxes of both TC bullets. This is what I found in one.

2250Crap_TC_bullet.jpg

If I were you I would try the Hornady great plains bullet. They are accurate and deadly on game. Ron

Ditto!

One of our guys shot a cow moose this year with a .54 renegade and a TC maxi hunter. We found it against the hide on the far side. It had not expanded and still had most of the lube on it.

I never bought into the idea of using modern design bullets many years ago so I only have PRB experience, Dad tried them off and on and found little advantage in the close shot oppertuinity we generaly have here, we were sitting on a log for lunch one day and he looked at his TC Hawken and the maxi ball was poking half way out of the bore
this did not cause me to try them,but I did loose a cup of coffee when I choked to keep a laugh down. I think that was the last time he used them.By matching the right cal. with the animal being hunted and getting close as in archery hunting the PRB will do the job, the bores over .50 will extend the range, practice will tell you where your limit is.If you really have to shoot over 100 yds there are some military guns with period bullets that will do the task, or target guns from the last half of the 19th century are a good long range weapon as well.By this time we are into the cartridge era and the everyday use of the ML is dwindling, I suspect that cost determined what one used and if one is still using ML in the last half of the 19th century the ball is a likely choice over the bullet due to the cost factor.

How far did the animal travel after the hit? I've been hearing both pro's and con's on what happens after the hit.

tg,

Nicely said...controled placement is what it is all about!!!! It is not about bore size or projectile shape...it is about acceptable penetration (not necessarily pass though penetration) in the proper location will put an animal faster that anything. :bow:

I like the maxi. The maxi hunter is a poor bullet. Not accurate enough. A .22 through the lungs will kill a deer. Putting the lead in the right spot is more important than the shape of the projectile. Larry

Now this is interesting. I guess I've read a lot about on bigger game like moose a conical would be a lot more effective than a PRB. For those that have taken similar game with both types- how do they compare?
One point on the conicals- maybe it's just me but I find them really hard to ram down the bore. Swabbing between shots is a must.

My personal experience and observation of other's kills in our elk camp leads me to believe there's no difference in "killing power" between various conicals and PRBs. Shot placement is way more important than type of projectile. When I used "Buffalo Bullets" they seemed to load more easily than "Maxi-Balls in a fouled bbl....Fred

How far did the animal travel after the hit?

Seemed like about 75 yards. It had to be finishd with a head shot.

I had a small buck walk about 150 yards after a complete pass thru with a maxi ball.

75 yrds. doesn't sound too far. That's about right for some of my RB kills.

I recall having and hearing others talk of deer going quite a ways back when I shot centerfires,the hunting shows usually shows the deer taking off and going a ways before going down,there are just to many variables involved to make any absolute deductions about what will take a deer the fastest.

Back