• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Excessive pressure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm

You might of ran into the above web page on paper patches?

My buddy Brent has taught me everything I know about PP. Brent is a very good shooter and has quite a bit of success with his method.

I have stolen everything I can from him and it has paid off for me very well.

Brent and I went shooting yesterday afternoon, trying to get in some more practice before we head to Australia for the World matches in a few weeks.

We both are shooting the same bullets and wrap the paper the same way.

Yesterday was a terrible day for us, our groups at 200 yards were the size of a paper plate or bigger at times. Not sure what was going on. By the time I was done, after 25 rounds I was able to shoot MOA with my last 7 shots.

fleener

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

The double wrap parchment paper and poly wads are my next try. It seems to fit a little snugger. I've already tried the double wrap onion. Some were fair groups - a little under 3". I know the gun will do better, I have already established that. I really don't like the plastic build up and the 90 grains though. That attachment was some good reading.

Maybe I will get there. Thanks

And by the way we hope you the best in Australia at the World Matches. When you get my age it takes three different times to remember everything to say. :grin:

fleener, I don't know whether this is OK with this forum or not. I guess they will delete if it is not, but I just found out how to download pictures on the Monster Muley Forum. It is under the Muzzleloading section.

Wow, that is a beautiful rifle.

I would offer to have you send it to me and I would work up a load for you and send it back in a few years. But I can see right away why you cant work up a better load, the lock is on the wrong side.

Fleener

Thanks, Good thing I have a left-handed son who takes after his Dad. In shooting anyway. I might just turn it over to him and tell him to work up a load.

Fleener, Went out this morning and shot ten times with the parchment oven paper and a plastic wad. I shot a 4" group, but as I paid attention with my cleaning the last three shots were a 1 1/2" group. The parchment gave me some resistance going down the barrel. In my opinion the right resistance. I also shot some more onion skin wrapped paper of which I could tap the butt on the ground and the paper would go down. I am shooting a .441 bullet.

Most people shoot the onion skin paper. I am open to suggestions. My question is: Should I go to a .442 paper and try onion skin again or leave well enough alone with the .441 and double wrap parchment paper? Or would the .442 and parchment give me a tighter group? Where as I know any input is just a feeling. What would you try next?

try not changing too many variables at the same time.

Take the bullet that your rifle likes, patch it with the onion skin, parchment, and whatever else you have to try. See what it likes the best. Then try the different wads.

I would not put much pressure on the bullet to seat it. Is it a flat nose or pointed?

The bullet I was shooting yesterday goes down with the weight of the steel loading rod. I simply give it a very light push to make sure it is seated.

do you have any 1.5 or 2 F swiss? I would certainly give that a try if you can get some.

Fleener

It is a swagged buffalo bullet for a paper patch shooting and pointed with a very small flat sprue at the point. The bullet single wrapped in 24 lb copy paper will load fairly easy. 28 lb will load, but is very tight. I just ordered a .442 bullet from them(buffalo bullets). Will see what that will do.

Don't think I am bouncing the ramrod off of the bullet, just the wad, then I snug the bullet against the wad. I will try it this way and at another sitting I will try some with only snug pressure.

I have struggled to obtain a group with 70 grains of B. Powder. The only good group was was 90 grains and using butcher paper which has a plastic film on it which started building up. Tonight I shot the 70 g.of powder, 400 g. bullet, but the difference was the patch, I switched to a 24 lb single wrapped computer paper. I flipped the ramrod on the plastic wad charge until it bounced, then snugged the bullet onto the wad. I had a about a 6 mile side wind and shot a 2" group at 100 yards. Has any of you PP'ers used that type of patching material?

Latest posts

Back