• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Excited!!!! +Story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildpony

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got my first muzzle loading firearm and am so excited. It is an old repro of a Zouave .58 cal rifled musket. I shot it for the first time today and even felled my first quarry with it. It was kinda over-kill to put a .58 cal. hole in a half pound rabit but it was a fun shot.

I used to work at a museum when I was in highschool here in West Texas. Among other duties that I performed there, I worked as their early 20th century blacksmith apprentice. The fellow who taught me everything I know about blacksmithing always told me about how much fun shooting black powder was and at one point tried to get me started in it by selling me one of his hawken repros. However, at the time I did not have the funds nesseccary to do so. Well time went on and I had to leave the job to go off to college but I always missed getting to work in that old blacksmith shop. I constantly wished that I had taken my old instructor up on his offer simply because I would have liked to have a rifle that belonged to the man that had taught me so much of the craft which I enjoyed so much.
So after four years I finally ran into my old teacher again last weekend and asked him if I could come and swing a hammer with him. He and I were hanging out, pounding steel, and talking about all manner of things and the subject of black powder firearms came up. I asked if he still had any of his old repros for sale or trade. It turned out that he did and showed them all to me. After talking about what I wanted to use the gun for we both decided that his repro Zouave would be a good gun for him to pass on to me. So instead of using than fancy modern paper money we did something that meant something more instead; we traded guns as gentlemen. He gave me a quick tutorial on proper funcioning of the musket, some powder, primers and a few bullets, and told me to go home and give it a try.
So off I went to my old firing range to put the new arm through its paces. He told me that the accuracy from the bullets that he gave me would be less than what I should expect from the arm because he had sized them for his 1861 which had a sligntly undersized bore. I started shooting three shot strings between swabbings. First thing I noticed was that the bullets were going in the barrel way to easily and were keyholing on the target. I quit swabbing hoping that the fowling would eventually help the projectile grab the bore a little bit. I also bumped the powder charce about 5 grains in hopes that it would obuterate the bullet skirt more consistantly. Luck had it that after about the fourth "fowling shot" the adjustments worked and the groups started settling right in the way I wanted them.

With a fowled bore and one shot in the tube I set off to harvest my first quarry with the new gun. I walked around my old pasture hoping to come upon some small game or varmint to take but actually spent most of the evening sitting on the ridge of an old hill watching the sunset. As the last signs of the sun dissapeared over the horizon I turned to head back home. Much to my suprize as I turned I spotted my game. A cottontail rabbit nibbling on my wheat feild just twenty five yards ahead of me. I pulled the hammer, settled the sights, and squeezed the trigger until a column of smoke billowed from the end of the musket. When the smoke cleared, there laid the hare with no movement. It was my first kill with a muzzle loading arm.

I have to say that the over-all experience was the most satisfying I have ever had with a firearm, modern or otherwise. I have shot and reloaded ammunition for years but there is just someting different and extremely gratifying about these old front stuffers. The first time I loaded it I could hardly pour the powder charge because my hands were shaking with so much excitement. The fact that I was able to effectively and immediately adjust my load to be more accurate was also much more satisfying than experimenting with cartrige load batches and spending hours pulling bullets then throwing new charges to correct previous inacuracies.

Tomorrow I am going back to my old friend's to cast some new bullets which will be sized specifically for my bore. He also said he is going to donate a bullet mould and sizer to me to help me get started. We are also going to be hitting the anvils again to make a new French style trade knife and a small tommahawk to complement the rifle. Should be another really fun evening.

Neadless to say I am very excited about getting started in this new avenue of firearms sports. I hope to get good enough to join some of this forums member competitions and post some pics of my outings and game I may harvest with the new rifled musket.

Good day all, I hope you have as much fun as I have had today.

Ahmen to that.

I loved getting to spend the day working metal with him and am honored to now own the gun of someone who I respect so much. I know I will never willingly let the gun leave my posession other than to continue the legacy by passing it on to some yonger sportsman in hopes that I can keep old knowledge alive as my old friend has done with me.

I cant wait until tomorrow. I alwayse learn so much and he is full of good advice.

Hay, it's great to hear of another one joining the muzzleloading shooters. It even adds to it when I hear of someone having success in bringing home some meat for the pot! :)

As for your gun loading easily, the Minie' type bullet with the hollow base (assuming that's what you were using) is supposed to load easily.

When you visit your friend, you might ask him if he can cast some .570 dia balls.
Used with a patch, these often give very good accuracy in the .58 caliber guns and they are a whole lot easier on your shoulder.

Happy shooting to you and come back often. :)

Welcome aboard.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the gentleman who got me into muzzleloading arms when I was in my teens.

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually did pick up a box of 570 round balls today when I went to town along with some other necessities. I loaded them over about 60gr of powder when I got home and did a little target shooting off the tailgate of my pickup. As informal as my target was and given the wind and less than optimal shooting position, I was extrememly suprised when I retrieved my target and found a nice three inch three shot group at 100 yds.

I have to say that I am extremely pleased that I am getting this kind of accuracy even though my musket has a fast twist barrel designed for conniclas.

As for the Minnie balls, the ones I was using had a thick skirt which doent obbuterate as easily as some designs and could actually just be dropped down the barrel and driven home by just bouncing the but of the gun on the tip of my boot.

I cast about 40 full .580 sized thick skirted minnies today and I am sure I will get better results with them. They thumb-start with little effort and drive home with a reasonable amount of pressure from the ram-rod.

I cant wait till I get to go back out to the range and see where the new minnies pattern at. The round balls also make for a lot of fun plinking and help me concentrate on following through with my shots after the sear breaks. They sure do kick a whole lot less. The only problem is that they still shoot about six inches too high at 100 yds.

Have you checked to see what the twist rate is in your gun? Most of those had a 1-72" twist if i recall right and shoot well with rd balls.

Wildpony said:
I constantly wished that I had taken my old instructor up on his offer...
So after four years I finally ran into my old teacher again last weekend...
The first time I loaded it I could hardly pour the powder charge because my hands were shaking with so much excitement.
Neadless to say I am very excited about getting started in this new avenue of firearms sports.
Good day all, I hope you have as much fun as I have had today.

You've really aquired a severe terminal case of the muzzle loading syndrome from having been bitten by "the bug" some years ago and thankfully, just like for the rest of us, there ain't no cure. Just keep digesting your Zoave medicine on a regular basis until other replacement medicines become available. There ain't no doctor that's gonna' be able to help you now. Save yourself and just keep shootin' and makin' lotsa' smoke! :grin:

How wonderful to have met your old blacksmith teacher and to learn how to shoot muzzleloaders from him. Congratulations on your first kill with a muzzleloader too. :thumbsup:

BTW, what museum?

Some old Dixie catalogs say the twist in Zouaves depend on who made it. Some of them have:

Armi Sport, Italy: 1:56
Euro Arms/Italy: 1:66
My 1970 Armi Jager measures 1:36 :hmm:

Gary said:
How wonderful to have met your old blacksmith teacher and to learn how to shoot muzzleloaders from him. Congratulations on your first kill with a muzzleloader too. :thumbsup:

BTW, what museum?

I used to work at Bufflao Gap Historic Village in Buffalo Gap, Texas.

Well my Zouave isnt a very fancy one. It is about 30 years old and is made by CVA. It is in great condition and shoots wonderfully but it isnt a Euro Arms or Navy arms. I believe it has a 1:48 rifling twist but some of you folks may know more about it and can tell me for sure what it is.

Congratulations on your purchase and your first kill. Welcome to the muzzleloading world.

Now that you have your small-game rifle do you plan on picking up something heavier for big game? :rotf:

Latest posts

Back