• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Exploding CVA barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had a bad experiance with my cva 44 cal kentucky kit BP rifle
I bought it in 1975 at kittery trading post
I used to shoot at (turkey target) shoots for many years.
My work life took over so it was stored for last 30 years
I decided to clean it up and take it to the range and for safety sake decided to do a test shot with 120 gr 3 f black powder
first I dropped 50 grains down the barrel and tamped it a bit with the rod then placed a cap and BANG all is good with no old load left in
then I loaded 120 gr with one round ball with no patch which slipped down the barrel easy
I strapped it to the shooting stand placed a cap had string on the trigger paced back 30 ft and pulled BIG bang blew gun in two
I also noticed a crack full length of the barrel

Attachments

• 44 CVA1.jpg
    44 CVA1.jpg
    893.7 KB · Views: 5
Start with a lower-quality, aged rifle barrel of unknown storage conditions. Clean? dirty? Wasp nests? Left unattended to for 30 years. Foul it--with a squib load. Don't swab. Add a super-heavy load with no patch to hold the ball to the powder. No idea if the charge contacted the projectile. Fire it off. What did you expect? Completely unscientific approach to a "test." You are lucky you are here to tell about it. Darwin Award Nominee.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
I decided to clean it up and take it to the range and for safety sake decided to do a test shot with 120 gr 3 f black powder
first I dropped 50 grains down the barrel and tamped it a bit with the rod then placed a cap and BANG all is good with no old load left in
then I loaded 120 gr with one round ball with no patch which slipped down the barrel easy
I strapped it to the shooting stand placed a cap had string on the trigger paced back 30 ft and pulled BIG bang blew gun in two
I guess a welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina is first.

Now on to your sad story. For future reference, CVA recommended a starting load of 45 grains of 2F and a maximum load of 75 grains of 2F under a patched roundball in the 45 caliber rifle according to my old CVA instruction manual. Why someone would exceed the max charge by 60% (120 vs 75 grains) with a finer powder (3F vs 2F), and top it off with a loose ball in the bore (roundball possibly not held and seated on the powder charge) is very hard to understand, though the outcome was predictable. Seems the OP understood and knew that, using a 30’ string to remotely fire the gun.

There is not really a lot to debate or discuss on this one, pretty cut and dry. At least no one got hurt.

Don't really know what happened there, but happy to hear you are OK. If the ball was too easy without a patch, maybe it rolled up the barrel and then caused a barrel obstruction. Just a thought.
Larry

well that sucks big time, lucky it didn't happen when you were holding it

Why the loose ball? It might have rolled off the powder and caused this issue.

Regardless you are out of a rifle.
Salvage the lock, and whatever other parts survived. Might come in handy some day.
loose ball was a 44 cal ball with out a patch is all

I guess a welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina is first.

Now on to your sad story. For future reference, CVA recommended a starting load of 45 grains of 2F and a maximum load of 75 grains of 2F under a patched roundball in the 45 caliber rifle according to my old CVA instruction manual. Why someone would exceed the max charge by 60% (120 vs 75 grains) with a finer powder (3F vs 2F), and top it off with a loose ball in the bore (roundball possibly not held and seated on the powder charge) is very hard to understand, though the outcome was predictable. Seems the OP understood and knew that, using a 30’ string to remotely fire the gun.

There is not really a lot to debate or discuss on this one, pretty cut and dry. At least no one got hurt.
loose ball was regular .440 ball I just shoved down with out a patch but a rammed it till my rod bounced as always

Why 120gn? That’s a7/8” barrel, seems quite heavy for the charge. Was this your normal charge? What brand and type powder did you use? It looks like there is some rust/corrosion on a portion of the fractured barrel.
I use black triple fff as I have for years and I rammed till I get the bounce and my rod is measured to be sure
what was amazing i used to put at least 300 balls a season turkey shooting

You sure it is real black powder you was using ? Modern smokeless maybe? Why 120 grains and no patch ball? This story is strange.
Nothing strange I tested with 60g black first with no ball to make sure no blockage after long storage and flashed it iff with a cap to ensure it was clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back