• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failed attempt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anonym said:
Same way with archery. I love hunting with a bow and arrow, but I'm a "young" archer and haven't managed to evolve into hunting with my recurve yet, so the compound is what I take to the woods. Should I be banned from archery season because my bow has cams?

Yes. Prosthetic devices should be limited to those who need them due to physical handicap. Maybe you could demonstrate muscle weakness and get a waiver.

And please remove the fiber-optic pin sights - or any sights - and use wooden shafts: leave the the tin or fishrod arrows at home. :rotf:

hawken hunter 60 said:
Right now, there are simply too many regulations that serve all kinds of interests other than helping hunters find success in the fields. And the Conservation Police officers are way to interested in citing hunters for every minor infraction in order to collect more revenue.

I agree with Paul, There are just too many rules that can be easily overlooked and a lot of guys wont hunt for the fear of getting in trouble for some stupid little infraction. Especially if they have to hunt on public land.

Hawken Hunter 60

When they had me up in Illini country in '89 the hunting and fishing regs looked like a home town phone book. That was one of the things that convinced me not to stay. Took one of their squaws and headed south.

from the original post/bank story:
ebiggs said:
..... He told me I better hang that pretty gun on the wall and get a real muzzleloader....
:idunno: :youcrazy:

That statement would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad?

Hawken Hunter 60[/quote]
Took one of their squaws and headed south.[/quote]
I`m not trying to steal a post, but there are some people that would take offence at the use of the word squaw... It`s generally been used as a derogatory term used for cheap, easy women (typically N.A. decent)who used to hang around the forts & trading posts who weren`t too picky about the men they let share their bedrolls. Ask your Lady if she`d mind you refering to her as a prostitute, you`ll get the idea. :nono:

I love listening to all the guff about the inlines.

Just so you know J S Pauley patented an inline muzzleloading rifle right around 1808, I believe it used a paper cap of his invention. I have seen it listed with a couple different dates so I wont make a claim as to an exact date.

I do wish states would make their primitive weapons season so that scopes are not legal. But then the scope was supposedly invented around 1880...

Lobo69ss said:
Hawken Hunter 60
Took one of their squaws and headed south.[/quote]
I`m not trying to steal a post, but there are some people that would take offence at the use of the word squaw... It`s generally been used as a derogatory term used for cheap, easy women (typically N.A. decent)who used to hang around the forts & trading posts who weren`t too picky about the men they let share their bedrolls. Ask your Lady if she`d mind you refering to her as a prostitute, you`ll get the idea. :nono: [/quote]

That's amazing. I had no idea that the term would be considered derogatory. If someone is offended then I am sorry. You see, it's always been a fairly common term in local parlance, acceptable in polite company and my family's generations. But, no doubt you are correct about someone taking offense seeing as we live in different cultures. In my rearing we don't intend to give offense and are taught to not take offense where none is intended. Reckon it all comes back to what a person has been trained to feel and whether or not they feel the need to be offended. But someone has a problem, so if I ever mention her here again I will just refer to her as my better 2/3's.
And I'll be sure and say spherical projectiles.

Damn, political correctness arrives in the General Muzzleloading category. Years ago I got gnawed on by a young German girl regarding the use of the word fraulein. When I was learning German as a child (we spoke it around the house), a fraulein was a girl or young woman. Nothing derogatory at all in it's use or connotation. Frau was usually used for older women - usually married. Apparently younger German girls got their collective panties in a wad, and all want to be called frau now. It is getting to where you need a damned scorecard to figure out what to say to whom.

Just don’t call them a House Frau ”“ That roughly means old lady. We had an exchange student from Germany and she just could not understand how we could have Saint Pauli girl beer. To her a St. Pauli girl was a hooker.

I was always told that the term squaw was an eastern woodland Indian word for vagina. That is why it is considered offensive.

Thanks,
A non tribal Indian ”“ Foster From Flint

I never mentioned anything about "squaws" in my post. Don't know why you mentioned me in reference to squaws in yours. :idunno:

Hawken Hunter 60

I think that all of us who have been in the sport for a long time share a part in allowing the modern stuff to be a part of the ML world,way back when the modern mindset ML hunters were given an inch with the maxi balls and such bullets and modern adjustable and peep sights and they ended up taking a mile, as no one saw what was to come.It is not likely to change much now, as the modern stuff is ingrained so deeply into the sport it will always be there and accepted as traditional.

"Just so you know J S Pauley patented an inline muzzleloading rifle right around 1808"

Actually there was one earlier, in the 18th century I believe and the type of ignition is not the issue just a way of identifying the modern type gear that can shoot modern bullets out to 200yds or more which was not the idea behind the ML seasons in the begining, for the most part ML hunting was intended to take one a step back in technology and add a challenge which is not there with most modern outfits, they are much closer to a single shot cartridge gun, many relative newcommers to the sport of ML hunting are not aware of this.

GoodCheer said:
Lobo69ss said:
Hawken Hunter 60
Took one of their squaws and headed south.
I`m not trying to steal a post, but there are some people that would take offence at the use of the word squaw... It`s generally been used as a derogatory term used for cheap, easy women (typically N.A. decent)who used to hang around the forts & trading posts who weren`t too picky about the men they let share their bedrolls. Ask your Lady if she`d mind you refering to her as a prostitute, you`ll get the idea. :nono: [/quote]

That's amazing. I had no idea that the term would be considered derogatory. If someone is offended then I am sorry. You see, it's always been a fairly common term in local parlance, acceptable in polite company and my family's generations. But, no doubt you are correct about someone taking offense seeing as we live in different cultures. In my rearing we don't intend to give offense and are taught to not take offense where none is intended. Reckon it all comes back to what a person has been trained to feel and whether or not they feel the need to be offended. But someone has a problem, so if I ever mention her here again I will just refer to her as my better 2/3's.
And I'll be sure and say spherical projectiles.[/quote]

Unfortunately Goodcheer is somewhat incorrect here.Derogatory connotations to the term squaw originates in the late 19th and 20th centuries.The word Squa is an ancient Algonquin word which found its way into print as early as 1622 where the term Squa Sachim was used to mean a woman chief.The root for the word Squaw is Squa an Algonquin word meaning among other things woman,young woman,queen,lady,and is found singularly or as a modifier.For instance {Abenaki}a chief's wife would be referred to as Sogomoskua or the chief's wife.When referring to the wife of a particular person the term would be added to her husband's name.A blending of languages could result in the Abenaki word for "queen"{Kijamesiskua} being literally translated as Kinjames'iskua or King James'wife.

It is only since approximately the late 19th century or 20th century that the derogatory connotations derided by Goodcheer have brought the term into disrepute.Hawken Hunter's mentioning taking one of their squaws and heading south is non defamatory but rather refers to a single woman or perhaps an Indian woman married to a White man and the beginning of a journey.I submit that Hollywood has played a major role into the demonization of the ancient Algonquin term "Squa",and the subsequent emergence of the misused term "Squaw".
Tom Patton :bow: :v : :(

I was not aware that someone would take offense at the use of the S word. Guess yall wouldn't be interested in hearing about how my daddy said I'd disgraced the family. But, times were different.

Yes, I've heard the negative talk about the word "Squaw". In fact, Squaw Peak, a mountain that had that name for over a century here in Phoenix was renamed a few years ago by our lady Governor.
She mentioned the Modern meaning of the word.

I find it interesting though that of the many books I've read, written back in the late 1700's thru the 1800's the word was often used and it was never used in a negative or derogatory way.
It almost always was used as a simple description of someones wife or a young Indian girl in a positive context.

This would seem to be in agreement with Tom Patton's explanation given above (Thanks Tom).

paulvallandigham said:
We may be winning this war. I have been told, but have not seen the current regulations, that Illinois has now banned the use of shotgun primers to ignite the charge of powder in MLing rifles.

If this drives those zip guns out of our woods, other states are sure to follow.

If they had banned scoped sights on Mling rifles, for instance, it would have hurt a lot of older hunters who now use scopes because of failing eyesight. So, banning shotgun primer Mlers was the easiest way to get the season back to using traditional side hammer Mlers.

Paul
You're kidding!!! :shocked2: Does that mean they can't use inlines at all because I don't know of any other primers that can be used in inlines.

Just a few. I don't follow the trade, because I have no interest in zip-guns, but there have been some made that use #11 caps.

You can use the zip guns in the regular firearms season, just not the Muzzleloading special season. But, the zip gun shooters don't want those guns for the regular firearms season; they buy them only to use in the MLer season.

paulvallandigham said:
Just a few. I don't follow the trade, because I have no interest in zip-guns, but there have been some made that use #11 caps.

You can use the zip guns in the regular firearms season, just not the Muzzleloading special season. But, the zip gun shooters don't want those guns for the regular firearms season; they buy them only to use in the MLer season.

Didn't the 209 cap come about when they started making pellets?

People who have little chance of adding anything to a debate fall back on PC speech. They have found that a lack of education on any subject can be fortified by name calling and hurt feelings. If you had said an "Old White Broad" you would have been given a free pass. The reason being only certain terms fall into the limited lexacon of PC speech. :(

flintlock62 said:
paulvallandigham said:

Didn't the 209 cap come about when they started making pellets?

209 is a shotgun primer. Some MLs are adapted to use it. Now then make some 209s just for MLs or so they claim.

Dan

Latest posts

Back