• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fallow-calf down in Germany

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmidt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Since 3 month I try to get a roefawn, but when I got the one and only chance to shoot the ignition failed.
This morning my place was at the end of a little valley in a beech and oak wood.
When the light became bright i could see some roes passing by, too far away to shoot. A fallow-cow with its calf diapeared behind the horizon.
After 10 minutes they came back downhill on a path in my direction, the calf stood broad at 40 yards and got the .45 real just behind the shoulder.
it went down after 30 yards.
It had 18kg field dressed.
Will be a very good eating!!!

Baikal,
Way to go!Congratulations!Merry christmas too!Enjoy the meat! :thumbsup:

Good looking man, good looking meat hanging there, good looking gun, sensible range and good looking woodland. Heaven. I do miss visiting Augsburg and all the fallow that was there :hatsoff:

Hey Det!

Congratulations for your hunt! :thumbsup:
What was the problem with your short-longrifle about misfire?

springer from Hungary

Congratulations. I commend you on a good shot. I am intrigued by the background of the photo. The woodlands remind me of what some parts of New England looks like.

Congratulations Baikal! Many of us don't know the custom of putting fresh pine branches over the mouth of your harvest that is practiced in Europe. Would you mind explaining this interesting custom?

Hi Det,

congrats and Waidmanns Heil to this nice calf. The forest looks pretty nice, your dress also.

Regards from Bavaria!

Kirrmeister

Hi Springer,
The reason was simple but effective: Too much oil in the pistonsocket :-(

The branch ist called the "last bite", we want to apologize for the killing and wish a good journey to
"the eternal huntingground".

Baikal said:
The branch ist called the "last bite", we want to apologize for the killing and wish a good journey to
"the eternal huntingground".

Another custom concerning to this one is to give the hunter a pine piece called "Erlegerbruch" means pine break for the hunter. If the game could only be found by the help of a hunting dog the dog gets a pine break too because he was able and brave to find it.This break is put in the dogs leather band around the neck.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back