• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fast twist BP barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

restever99

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently aquiring parts to build my dream rifle. More or less a Rigby sport but with a full stock and other attachments to make it a super accurate long range hunter. I am having the hardest time trying to locate a .45cal, 44", 1-18" fast twist barrel. Green Mountain used to make them but no longer does. They don't even make a 1-28" anymore. Does anyone out there have any idea where I could get one or who could make me a custom one? Let me know. Thanks!

Contact barrel makers for cartridge guns. That ROT is something used to stabilize long cast bullets fired from BP Breechloaders, like the Sharps, or Ballard rifles. McGowen Rifle Barrel Co., in St. Anne, Illinois, just east of Kankakee, will either have them, or know where you can get one. :thumbsup:

44" 1-18? or 34"

I got my 34" GM from Dick at Pecatonica River for an underhammer project. He may still have another left.

44" was right. Ideally I would like it a little on the long side. I plan to use a fullstock.

Also, while I have it in mind, what kind of breechplug and UHlock did you use in your rifle? I am curious because I have been marinating on UH designs for another project.

This one.

UH.jpg

The Breech plug basically looks like a stud with threads for the barrel and turned down to fit into the UH and is held in by 3 set screws.

I also got it from P.R.

I believe they are made here. http://www.fire-iron.biz/Fire___Iron.html

I do like the H&A style lock. However I was thinking of going with the UHlock MBS offers. Still not sure though. Not going to be able to start this project till this time next year.

I do have an MBS kit, Aside from laying out all the parts I havent done much with it yet.. Definately quite a bit involved in that one. Good Jan-Feb project in the shop when the temp is 30below cold. :haha:

Have you given any thought about the length and weight of the bullet in your .45 long range flinter? That twist is going to need an very long bullet to be very accurate at long range; under 150 yards the 1/28 twist will be much better if using bullets in the 400 grain and under bullets. I hope this is for target shooting only! We are talking 2 foot of drop at 200 yards here.

.451cal 535 grain. Something like what would be shot out of a Gibbs. I've had the mold for a while and this is my reason to use it.

I honestly don't remember. I picked up quite a few things the last time I was out P.R. last June.

No worries. I'll give them a call and find out. I'll just avoid it as long as possible because like always I'll probably spend too much. :grin:

Back