• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Felt source? Over powder wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastleo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a source for 100% wool hard felt to make my own over powder wads. Spill the beans please.

Andy

Are felt insoles for boots hard enough? I have some 1/4" hard felt that I bought several years ago but I just looked and there's no label on the package so I can't tell you where I got it. Online somewhere. It's for stock rubbing and I don't have enough left to spare.

Looking for a source for 100% wool hard felt to make my own over powder wads. Spill the beans please.

Andy
How hard do you want to go? Industrial felt comes in about 15 different densities and isn't cheap. I buy from Aetna Felt F-26N SAE Industrial Felt- 72 not for shooting, but for manufacturing purposes.

Minimum they sell is a linear yard, width 60" to 72", price will vary according to thickness. We buy their medium gray felt in rolls for our WWII M1 Cheek Pads, but I don't use felt for muzzleloader wads, I use leather wads. But they are a USA felt manufacturer.

How hard do you want to go? Industrial felt comes in about 15 different densities and isn't cheap. I buy from Aetna Felt F-26N SAE Industrial Felt- 72 not for shooting, but for manufacturing purposes.

Minimum they sell is a linear yard, width 60" to 72", price will vary according to thickness. We buy their medium gray felt in rolls for our WWII M1 Cheek Pads, but I don't use felt for muzzleloader wads, I use leather wads. But they are a USA felt manufacturer.

I’m not sure, I just was told to find hard 100%felt.

I’m not sure, I just was told to find hard 100%felt.
Man, it's hard and expensive, about $85 to $460 per linear yard according density and thickness. F1 is the hardest according to their chart, but F1 is about as stiff as a board. Here's pricing for F1 F-1 SAE Industrial Felt- 60

I'm sure they have suppliers of their felt in smaller quantities, and you may have to have an account to buy direct from them. We've had an account set up with them for years, but I don't know what they require now for a new purchase. I wish I could help you as far as what density felt you would need, but I've never tried the felt. Maybe other members have an idea on thickness and density, because Aetna makes felt up to 1" thick.

Man, it's hard and expensive, about $85 to $460 per linear yard according density and thickness. F1 is the hardest according to their chart, but F1 is about as stiff as a board. Here's pricing for F1 F-1 SAE Industrial Felt- 60

I'm sure they have suppliers of their felt in smaller quantities, and you may have to have an account to buy direct from them. We've had an account set up with them for years, but I don't know what they require now for a new purchase. I wish I could help you as far as what density felt you would need, but I've never tried the felt. Maybe other members have an idea on thickness and density, because Aetna makes felt up to 1" thick.
You can buy cut offs from Duro Felt for $10 - $20

Looks legit, 1/8” thick hard felt is what I need. I’d guess a lot of different stuff would work. I can also tell you know what your talking about. I appreciate your input

DuroFelt has a 1/8 hard felt specific for wads. They offer it in several sizes. The 12”x36” will give you somewhere around 1500 wads in 44 caliber.
I’ve ordered it several times in the past 5 years or so. 50/50 bees wax and Crisco and a Harbor Freight punch set used in a drill and your off to the races.

For some odd reason, I had smoothbore shotgun over powder wads on the brain. Probably because that's all I've been fooling with over the past several months.

Don't look at me!
IMG_20170622_174137163_HDR.jpg

1/8” to a 1/4” 100% wool felt with some rigidity to it, you kinda want it to scrap the barrel as it goes out the bore so to speak to keep that fowling soft, I get it off Tea bay ha ha for a 1/4 x 12” x24” for 6.00 bucks total, and I buy four or five and they last pretty long, and they come in like seven colors. I use the color butternut for .44 and off white for .36 if you want the site code number # PM me.

around here they call them JOHNNY CAKE CENTERS / THRIFT STORES, where people donate items for resale, and you can get a felt hat for a $1.00, and get many of then out of it. just start punching!

Latest posts

Back