• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Felt source? Over powder wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dura

Dura felt is the main wad used for conicals over powder in rifles to protect base , and in my shotgun a couple of bear oil soaked wads over shot and one dry under powder gives dense patterns #6 shot . And the other benefit in 12 ga is my Pedersoli is wearing screw in chokes and the felt wads work at 12 ga not needing smaller ga unlike cards !!! See how IdahoeLewis uses conical sitting on Durafelt wads over powder from 25 yds to 1200 yds and demonstrates accuracy unlike anyone else with factory TC Renegade barrels . I dare say he has done this more often than our English friend has killed game in his lifetime if he lasts another 50 yrs after Lewis quits (not happening)
I too use felt sometimes in my shotguns. Why do you suppose my old hat got all those holes 🙄.

All I said was, I don't recommend it.
How is that bad?
Maybe I should of added that for bullets I would favour a grease cookie. Just my choice.

Back to shotguns, thin cards DO curl past chokes like felt. I have choked muzzleloaders too.
Have your panties untwisted yet....

Oh, Idaho Lewis is an awesome shot. So are others, that don't use felt!

A word of caution perhaps. A lot of “felt” these days is made from polyester material not wool. Myself I’d not know the difference on items from a thrift store unless it was labeled.
if in dought, just put a lit match on to an area of it and you can tell. when I go into a thrift shope I use a BIC, on a little area of it.

some people use the packing called PEANUTS and stuff it down the barrel. not me though. afraid of melting.

I too use felt sometimes in my shotguns. Why do you suppose my old hat got all those holes 🙄.

All I said was, I don't recommend it.
How is that bad?
Maybe I should of added that for bullets I would favour a grease cookie. Just my choice.

Back to shotguns, thin cards DO curl past chokes like felt. I have choked muzzleloaders too.
Have your panties untwisted yet....

Oh, Idaho Lewis is an awesome shot. So are others, that don't use felt!
As far as panties I'm not English and felt and yes he does along with paper patching as do I even under a patched round ball ! /Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0261[1].JPG
    IMG_0261[1].JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 38
I’m not using these for a shotgun. I’m wanting them for conical and cartridge applications. I don’t own a black powder shotgun………..yet
Ok, I didn't realize that. For cartridges (45-70) I use a tight fitting disc of milk carton over the powder, mostly to prevent the possibility of lube bleeding into the powder.

So if the garment doesn't melt you buy it? If it does melt you leave it for someone else to buy?
that about sum's it up. muzzle loader shooters do the same thing when in a remnant shop, to see if the pillow ticking that they are selling is cotton or a substitute. just a little bit on an end.

I use a punch sized 3/4" for 12ga AND 14GA; 10ga I use 13/16" or 7/8", depending on the shot size, 16GA i use 11/16", 20ga I use 5/8", 24ga (58 cal) and 28ga (54 cal) I use 9/16". I haven't tried anything smaller. I have noticed that with my 24ga trade gun, I get better patterns with 4 of the felt wads and a couple of overshot cards over the powder; could be that a 19/32" punch would tighten up the 24ga so it didn't need the extra stuff, but I haven't found one; for some reason the 5/8" felts don't do well in my particular 24ga. The little 24ga is my grouse-getter, the 10 I use for ducks and geese, with cut-down nylon shot cups for steel, but I have used it on doves with the felt wads and a 12ga-size load of 7-1/2's and had good results. It has choke tubes and I used the mod and full ones for dove.
windy

Dura Felt is my go-to. Great quality and consistency, which gives predictable, consistent results. Isn't that what we are after? Hats come in varying thicknesses. It would be like changing patch thickness randomly...not good for consistency. Dura Felt people are also very nice and helpful.

ADK Bigfoot

Latest posts

Back