• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Felt source? Over powder wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
www.durofelt.com, most shooters use the 1/8" off white hard felt. You can also use the medium felt, it is just a little cheaper, but the hard is better. Good luck
I have been using these folks for over 25 years. You can call them and actually discuss your needs and they will tell you what felt to buy. Great folks.

I had success with soft felt, cut from a roll end at a local fabric store, for several years. Then I found out about linen patches, and hit the thrift stores for old napkins. Linen in a stronger fiber than cotton, so worked fine to stop the patch cutting even without the felt wad.

for shotgun felts, the old white army mukluk liners are great; my 12ga uses 3 of them between powder and ball--nothing more. Gives great patterns. I soak the wads, after I punch them out on the end-grain of a post or chunk of timber, in melted salt-free lard from the Mexican food aisle in the supermarket. Funny thing: I've never seen one smolder after the shot; can't say the same for any other product.
windy

Try Prairie Woolens Home . 100% Wool. You can purchase almost any size and quite reasonable. I use it for my .44 caliber revolver paper cartridges. The wool is soaked in your favorite lube recipe for the paper cartridges.

Looking for a source for 100% wool hard felt to make my own over powder wads. Spill the beans please.

Andy
I have always used thick cardboard for OP, cushion wad above that, shot, then a thin cardboard OS. I use the commercial fibre wad, and punch my own card wads. If I run out of commercial fibre wads, I use a couple of squares of toilet paper; seems to work pretty much the same.

I have always used thick cardboard for OP, cushion wad above that, shot, then a thin cardboard OS. I use the commercial fibre wad, and punch my own card wads. If I run out of commercial fibre wads, I use a couple of squares of toilet paper; seems to work pretty much the same.

I’m not using these for a shotgun. I’m wanting them for conical and cartridge applications. I don’t own a black powder shotgun………..yet

Elmer Keith use to get felt from old cowboy hats.

Go to Lowe's and go to the window department. They have felt weather strip made by Macklanburg-Duncan, in Oklahoma City.

It is 1 1/4" wide, 3/16" thick and 17' long.

I use it in my shot gun and it works well.

Oh, there is a chart for making felt wads that has the punch sizes for different barrel sizes, can someone please post it, I cannot find it.

Elmer Keith use to get felt from old cowboy hats.

Go to Lowe's and go to the window department. They have felt weather strip made by Macklanburg-Duncan, in Oklahoma City.

It is 1 1/4" wide, 3/16" thick and 17' long.

I use it in my shot gun and it works well.

Oh, there is a chart for making felt wads that has the punch sizes for different barrel sizes, can someone please post it, I cannot find it.

Google tip! Also that chart would be interesting to look at.

Dura
I don't recommend felt wads for bullets.
I recommend materials that do not compress as much. Card for instance.
Dura felt is the main wad used for conicals over powder in rifles to protect base , and in my shotgun a couple of bear oil soaked wads over shot and one dry under powder gives dense patterns #6 shot . And the other benefit in 12 ga is my Pedersoli is wearing screw in chokes and the felt wads work at 12 ga not needing smaller ga unlike cards !!! See how IdahoeLewis uses conical sitting on Durafelt wads over powder from 25 yds to 1200 yds and demonstrates accuracy unlike anyone else with factory TC Renegade barrels . I dare say he has done this more often than our English friend has killed game in his lifetime if he lasts another 50 yrs after Lewis quits (not happening)

Dura

Dura felt is the main wad used for conicals over powder in rifles to protect base , and in my shotgun a couple of bear oil soaked wads over shot and one dry under powder gives dense patterns #6 shot . And the other benefit in 12 ga is my Pedersoli is wearing screw in chokes and the felt wads work at 12 ga not needing smaller ga unlike cards !!! See how IdahoeLewis uses conical sitting on Durafelt wads over powder from 25 yds to 1200 yds and demonstrates accuracy unlike anyone else with factory TC Renegade barrels . I dare say he has done this more often than our English friend has killed game in his lifetime if he lasts another 50 yrs after Lewis quits (not happening)

This is why I want to start making my own. In my little brain I want to try to shoot my t/c at long range with conical bullets. It hopefully will be fun even though I know I’ll never shoot like him.

Back