• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ffffg priming powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis hernandez

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: Hello I live now in El Paso texas and I cannot find a gun store with priming powder for my flinter and I dont want to buy a case of it to last me a 100 years! LOL any Ideas where I can get a can or somebody can direct me to a place that is close? Thanks -Luis-

You realize that you can substitute 3f or even 2f in the pan and not see any difference in ignition time, don't you?

Actually there is a difference, the 3f being microseconds slower than 4f and 2f being microseconds slower than 3f. You need sophisticated electronics to detect this..you won't be able to tell without.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a longshot in my book: availability being one, not having to carry a second horn or charger being 2, more traditional being a third, and less succeptable to moisture intrusion on a wet day being 4.

If you really want "4f", you could grind 3f in a mortar and pestle down to 4f size and use that, but it is not necessary. Try it and see!

One: Google, or check the links here for Goex, and look at their map of the US to find the distributor for Texas. The map will give a name, phone number( 800) and/ or an email address. If you contact the Distributor, he will tell you where your nearest retailer is located.

Two: If there is no nearby retailer, he will get you the powder you need to you. Find some friends to place a joint order. Most dealers and distributors will allow you to mix an order- order both ONE CAN of 4F powder, and at least 4 cans of 3f or 2f powder, for a minimum order of 5 lbs.

If you order this from Powder, Inc., or Graf and Sons, (again, see the Links at the Member Resources at the top of the Index page to the forums) they will pay the shipping, and simply charge you the $20.00 haz mat fee.

The Haz Mat fee is $20.00 per shipment, so the more powder order, the less that fee is going to be per pound ordered. It pays to find a group of men to place an order, so that you all reduce the cost. There is a savings to be had ordering by the case( 25 lbs) rather than in a smaller order, but the smaller order will still be cheaper than what you will have to pay at retail. If you have a friend who is also a flintlock shooter, split the can of 4F powder with him, BTW. You can received up to 50 lbs. of powder per shipment, which would be two cases.

La Longue Carabine said:
"...you won't be able to tell without..."
Might want to be careful making such an across the board statement :wink:

"...you could grind 3f in a mortar and pestle down to 4f size and use that..."

If you don't have a mortar & pestle sitting around, a really simple quick alternative it to fill a 35mm film cannister half full of 3F, drop in a lead ball, snap the lid on, and while holding the lid secure, shake the canister vigorously 10-15 seconds and check it to see if its ground down finer, continue shaking accordingly.

I always prime with 4F...it is faster and in a flintlock I want all the ignition speed I can get.
You can order powder from a few distributors who will let you order less than a full case...they usually have a 5 pound minimum...and so would you really, to spread the shipping & hazmat across more than just a can or two...and they'll mix granulation types for you...ie: 4 cans of 3F, 1 can of 4F, etc. Powderinc.com and Graf & Son in MO are a couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luis,

I'm in El Paso too! As suggested, you can use 2f or 3f as priming powder. When I came to this board, I was new to flintlocks, and it took some convincing to get me to prime with 2f or 3f but once I tried it, I was convinced. It works perfectly and you won't notice the difference between it and 4f. The only difference I noticed is that 4f tends to clump when it's humid and 3f doesn't.

I buy powder in bulk from Powder Inc. Since we're both local, maybe we could split a bulk order one of these times. It's a great way to stock up on powder cheap.

:) Wow! sounds good Sir, I live near the new high school ,El Dorado and it would be really cool to split up some powder especially that darn priming powder!! where can you shoot out here in the desert ? I mean a place where it is allowed or far enough? Thanks-luis-

Luis hernandez said:
:) Wow! sounds good Sir, I live near the new high school ,El Dorado and it would be really cool to split up some powder especially that darn priming powder!! where can you shoot out here in the desert ? I mean a place where it is allowed or far enough? Thanks-luis-

Luis,

Take Joe Battle down to Vista del Sol and go east 3 miles. You will have to zig-zag a little bit to follow the tracks. Take a left and go a half mile. There will be a gravel pile and one of Jobe's test pits on the west side of the road. I go out in that area. Usually sounds like a war zone out in the desert on Sunday afternoon.

RGML shoot on the first and third Saturday at Fort Bliss Rod and Gun. Take the loop to the northeast and get off on Railroad.

Luis, I'm on the West side, so I only know shooting spots over here. There's a lot of good shooting off the county road that runs through New Mexico back behind Santa Teresa high school. The Rod and Gun club is an awesome range to shoot at also. I don't shoot there much though, as it's on the other side of town from me and all the best activities are always scheduled on weekends. I do gun shows for a living now, so I'm almost always out of town on weekends.

Nice to see a few fellow El Pasoans here! There isn't a lot of interest in muzzleloading in our fair city, so it's always a pleasant surprise to run into others who share the interest! :hatsoff:

Plink said:
Nice to see a few fellow El Pasoans here! There isn't a lot of interest in muzzleloading in our fair city, so it's always a pleasant surprise to run into others who share the interest! :hatsoff:

Plink

How can I recognize you at gun shows? I see we have one here and another in Cruces in March.

Back