• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFg in a 32 and 36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about trying FFg in my 32 and 36 TC's.I will be using RB's.Before I do I just wondered if anyone else tried it and with what results?

I tried in my 32 and 36 one day when that's all I happened to bring to the range. Accuracy was mediocre to poor, but then again I was using smallcharges- 20-25 grains. Worse than that fouling was terrible. It's the only time I came close to believing the old saw about small calibers being more difficult to shoot due to fouling. My guns are noticeably more accurate with 3f, and certainly easier to clean. Wierd enough though, the 2f fouled more in the 36 than the 32.

It would be interesting to see if things cleaned up with heavier charges. If you try it, report back!

Brown bear: Try using 30 grains of powder with that .36. The 20 grain charge is usually accurate in the .32. The .32 tends to have higher chamber pressure because of the small size of the bore, and the friction of the cloth patch around the ball. If your patch lube is changed, that can also affect the crud left in the barrel. Increasing the powder charge to 30 grains should reduce the crud in that .36, but every gun is different, as are different lots of powder.

410-er said:
Thinking about trying FFg in my 32 and 36 TC's.I will be using RB's.Before I do I just wondered if anyone else tried it and with what results?

Stick with FFFg powder in percussion guns.

I shoot FFg in my .32 flint but my .36 percussion shoot better with FFFg.

Tinker2

I know a man who builds pistols and he said to shoot 2f instead of 3f in hhis pistols. I have shot both in his pisols and they shoot better groups with 2f.

Different guns like different diets.

RDE

410-er

I was just willed a .36 and .45 in rifles as well as a .32 and a .45 in pistols. Having had a rifle in .50 for years ffg is all I had and was thinking the same. After reading the posts here today I went and bought some 3f. I also ended up with another .50 and a .54. All cap locks. I've been using 70 & 80 grain loads in the .50 for accuracy and 80 & 90 gr. for hunting.
If anyone would like to share their accuracy and hunting loads with me for other than the .50 I'd sure like to try them out!
And thanks to everyone for the nice welcome on the newbi page!!..............Ol Thing.......

When I was shooting a .45 caplock, I got very good accuracy with 55 grains of FFFg powder, and a .440 ball. Barrel was a short 25 inches. If you have a barrel that is 32 inches or longer, move up to at least 60 grains, and then try 65 grains. My brother has used the 65 grain charge in his 37 inch barrel, and got very good ballistics and accuracy out to 130 yards. MY brother's chronograph is giving 1900 fps and more for that 65 grain load. That is a lot of zip. Understand that most of that velocity over 1200 fps will be lost in the first 50 yards, because a RB has such a poor B/C.

Ol Thing said:
If anyone would like to share their accuracy and hunting loads with me for other than the .50 I'd sure like to try them out!

I shoot 3F in everything but my shotgun. My .36 likes 30 for 25 and 50 yards and 40 grains for 100 yards. I can't hunt big game with it in my state but the 30 grain load does fine on the smaller stuff. I have a .53 Santa Fe that I use 50 grains for 25 and 50 yard target work and 80 grains for 100 yard and hunting. The 80 grain load has proved sufficient for elk within 100 yards. Can't help you with the .45. I haven't had one for years but hope to rectify that sometime in the future.

For small game in 32 and 36, I'm using 20-25 grains of 3f (or Pyrodex P). In both my 50 and 54 I use 30 grains. All are minute-of-rabbit-head well beyond 25 yards with those loads.

I've never tried heavier loads in the 32 and 36, except during early sight-in and accuracy testing. My goal was low velocity, and though I started at 30 or 35 grains in each (3f/Pyro P), I kept cutting the powder charge until I no longer got the "crack" of supersonic bullet flight. Coincidentally accuracy jumped at that point, so I quit testing, carved a powder measure and went hunting. The same process was used with the 50 and 54's, except for those I went on in search of faster loads for other uses.

Both the 50 and 54 really like 50 grains of 3f/Pyro P for target, general purpose plinking loads. For deer hunting my 50 settled in at 80 grains of 3f/Pyro P. The 54 likes 90 grains of the same.

I've worked up loads with 2f/Pyro RS for the 50 and the 54, though both powders are noticably dirtier shooting than the 3f/Pyro P. The 50 likes 90 grains and the 54 likes 100 grains.

Coincidentally (or not!) all guns hit more or less the same point of aim with all their charges out to 50 yards or so. It's only beyond that range that things change. The heavier loads in the 50 and 54 are way low at 100 with the 50 grain charge, and I haven't even tried the 30 grain charge out there. With their heavy charges each hits about 4" low at 100. Plenty good for deer hunting out that far, though I prefer to hold my shots to 75 yards and 50 or less is my usual deer range.

BrownBear said:
For small game in 32 and 36, I'm using 20-25 grains of 3f (or Pyrodex P). In both my 50 and 54 I use 30 grains. All are minute-of-rabbit-head well beyond 25 yards with those loads.

I've never tried heavier loads in the 32 and 36, except during early sight-in and accuracy testing. My goal was low velocity, and though I started at 30 or 35 grains in each (3f/Pyro P), I kept cutting the powder charge until I no longer got the "crack" of supersonic bullet flight. Coincidentally accuracy jumped at that point, so I quit testing, carved a powder measure and went hunting. The same process was used with the 50 and 54's, except for those I went on in search of faster loads for other uses.

Both the 50 and 54 really like 50 grains of 3f/Pyro P for target, general purpose plinking loads. For deer hunting my 50 settled in at 80 grains of 3f/Pyro P. The 54 likes 90 grains of the same.

I've worked up loads with 2f/Pyro RS for the 50 and the 54, though both powders are noticably dirtier shooting than the 3f/Pyro P. The 50 likes 90 grains and the 54 likes 100 grains.

Coincidentally (or not!) all guns hit more or less the same point of aim with all their charges out to 50 yards or so. It's only beyond that range that things change. The heavier loads in the 50 and 54 are way low at 100 with the 50 grain charge, and I haven't even tried the 30 grain charge out there. With their heavy charges each hits about 4" low at 100. Plenty good for deer hunting out that far, though I prefer to hold my shots to 75 yards and 50 or less is my usual deer range.
Good info, thanks!! :thumbsup:

410-er said:
Thinking of trying...well go ahead. But I
honesting think when you are done you will
happily return to 3fff. IMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

Latest posts

Back