• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Final Turkey Load from .62cal Flint Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Todays experimenting resulted in a little faster velocity from another 10grns of Goex 3F, and a little tighter pattern from only using one O/P wad:

80grns Goex 3F
Single Oxyoke wonderwad O/P
1+5/8oz #6 hard shot
Single Circle Fly O/S card

Averages 16 pellets in a 5" circle all the way out at 40yds.

At 6:45am I passed a small field that I'll be setting up on for Turkeys this season...and a flock of 20 were already out foraging across that fresh green spring growth.

Now if the planets will just all stay in orbit for the next 4 Saturdays, maybe I'll get lucky

Sounds like you have a good turkey load there. I am still trying to get a load worked up for my Jackie Brown .20 ga. flinter. I can't seem to get a decent pattern past 20 yds. I made up some paper shot cups out of brown paper bags, and am going to try them and see if i can extend the range to at least 25-30 yds. After you do some more experimenting with rd balls in that barrel and if they still shoot good, i may have to send this barrel off to the guy that jug choked yours and have him do mine. Good luck with the turkeys.

FW just sent me my .62 Cal. smoothbore barrel for my Underhammer. It might be a while before I get it ready but thanks for the load! :hatsoff:

Hello Roundball,

No cushion wad between powder & shot? I am just getting ready to test mine, do you think 56 smoothbore is big enough to dump a TOM ? Our season starts May 1st.

whitetaildg said:
Hello Roundball,

No cushion wad between powder & shot? I am just getting ready to test mine, do you think 56 smoothbore is big enough to dump a TOM ? Our season starts May 1st.

I do...I used to have a .56cal caplock, and have replaced it with a .54cal GM Flint smoothbore...it's a 15/16" drop-in barrel for a regular Hawken stock.

The .54cal throws excellent patterns at 25yds using 70grns Goex 3F, two .54cal Oxyoke wonderwads, 1+1/8+oz #6’s + OS card...set it up for small game.

If I was going to use the .54 (or .56) for turkey, I'd try 80grns 3F and 1+1/4oz or 1+3/8oz #6's...see how they do...might need to try just one wad instead of two.
(PS: Use .58cal Oxyoke wonderwads in the .56cal)

It sounds like you have a great load there... 16 pellets in a 5" circle at 40 yards is remarkable for an open bored flinter. :thumbsup: If'n it's OK with you, I'm gonna steal your recipe and try it in my .62. I am surprised that you get such great performance with no lubed felt wad. I havn't tried eliminating that part of the load yet, but I will. Right now, my patterns at 25 yards sound like your 40 yard pattern, so I'd be happy with any improvement.

Good luck in your quest for Ole Three-Toes. :grin:

The jug choke was an extra expense but looking back on everything, I could have paid for it twice over with the previous costs of trying to get a cylinder bore to pattern at distance for a small turkey neck target.

You can imagine all the expense of several round trips to the range using a lot of powder, wads, shot, cards, targets, cleaning patches, lube, etc, etc, experimenting with the original cylinder bore.

The jug choke was $60 + shipping both ways...then just two trips to the range to dial in the best load, and it throws a turkey killing pattern at 40yds...couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Plus, in brief tests with some PRB's, the choke had no negative effects at all on accuracy.

The Baron said:
It sounds like you have a great load there... 16 pellets in a 5" circle at 40 yards is remarkable for an open bored flinter. :thumbsup: If'n it's OK with you, I'm gonna steal your recipe and try it in my .62. I am surprised that you get such great performance with no lubed felt wad. I havn't tried eliminating that part of the load yet, but I will. Right now, my patterns at 25 yards sound like your 40 yard pattern, so I'd be happy with any improvement.

Good luck in your quest for Ole Three-Toes. :grin:

Baron, sorry, this is a follow-on post to one the other day...these are the results after having it jug choked "full".

(PS: the Oxyoke wad I used OP is prelubed with NL1000.)

roundball... thanks a ton for letting me know about the jug choke thing. That makes a lot of sense. I was pretty jealous you were getting such great 40 yard patterns from a smoothie! :haha:

I should really look into getting my gun jug choked, as the vast majority of my hunting with this gun will be turkeys anyway. Make sure to post up some pics of the big ole Tom you get with that gun!

Thanks for the personal note - much appreciated, my friend.

Take care,
Rob

That is simply outstanding! I am gonna send my barrel out there when I get back from my hunting trip, too bad I didn't do it before. :(

On a side note, I did take my son on Saturday for the youth season and he harvested his first bird with a reg 12ga.... 21lb 15oz, it was a great time and he is still smiling.

Good luck on those turks
wess

KyFlintlock said:
That is simply outstanding! I am gonna send my barrel out there when I get back from my hunting trip, too bad I didn't do it before. :(

On a side note, I did take my son on Saturday for the youth season and he harvested his first bird with a reg 12ga.... 21lb 15oz, it was a great time and he is still smiling.

Good luck on those turks
wess

That's outstanding...he'll remember that the rest of his life
:thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Here is his bird, thought you would like to see the excitement in his face:

firstTurk2.jpg

Back