• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally.....cooler weather!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was good to get out for a while this morning and not break out in a sweat! Left my camera at home so couldn't take any pictures but I shot five times and killed four squirrels before I had to head home. Even better is that three of those shots were offhand. I did have two failures on one so I put a new flint in and went on. Im starting to really get the hang of this Kibler. Our squirrel numbers seem to be up from last winter so hopefully it will be a good season. I look forward to this time of year chasing squirrels, my favorite type of hunting.

Hello, Ric, I too, rejoiced this morning at the coolness finally arriving. I have not hunted yet, but squirrels are my favorite game animal too; my forum name reflects the fact that I stalk trees in search of squirrels; too often the tree is empty or I wind up shooting a knot that looked like a squirrel to my old eyes LOL. I'm presently building a .36 longrifle with an Ed Rayl barrel, Dixie southern Mountain percussion lock and Genuine Ozark black walnut from a friend's tree near Huntsville, Ar. I hate hunting squirrels in hot weather, the ticks and fleas will eat you to the bone! I'll have Vidoria far enough along to hunt in a week or so, try to save me a few! Congratulations on your first hunt, and keep on smokin', George over in Huntsville.

Unfortunately, somebody thought that they needed my best mountain cur more than I did this past spring. Sure hated to see her come up missing. I do have a not so little half cur/half lab that is treeing pretty good so she will have to do this fall. I hunt a lot over in the St. Paul area with a buddy of mine, not too far from you George. My wife went to school at Huntsville. Small world. I have found a remedy for the early season seed ticks. The Sawyer's repellent is seed tick voodoo. Not one on me today and I hunted a pasture edge with the cows

Man am I jealous! No squirrels in my neck of the world, and I surely do miss hunting them!!

Next time don't forget the camera! Game taken with beautiful rifles is my kind of eye candy!!

Our season doesn't start until the 19th. I've been ready however for some time. I like to bring my trangia burner and a mountain house meal, and some tea so I can have a hot drink and lunch in the woods and simply enjoy my time afield. Getting a squirrel or two is a bonus.

Latest posts

Back