• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unplugging patent breech? Loaded rifle…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re on the right track. Pull the nipple, dribble in some powder and shoot it out. Out of curiosity, when you cleaned did you pull the nipple to pump water thru it? I’m with @Phil Coffins on this one. I always pop a cap or two before loading on a clean barrel. It’ll dry up any leftover oil and push out any crud.

That’s exactly what I have done and would do. If it didn’t work the first time I woul try it a couple more times before I resorted to a ball puller.

If you have to resort to a ball puller use a good range rod with a T handle and hook the handle on something that isn’t going to move and pull the rifle not the range rod.

Ditch the 777 it has the highest ignition temperature of the substitute powders.

Bob

That’s exactly what I have done and would do. If it didn’t work the first time I woul try it a couple more times before I resorted to a ball puller.

If you have to resort to a ball puller use a good range rod with a T handle and hook the handle on something that isn’t going to move and pull the rifle not the range rod.

Ditch the 777 it has the highest ignition temperature of the substitute powders.

Bob
All I use in my ROA if I can’t get my hands on some Swiss 3F or any real deal 4F. Never an issue in the revolver.
I have around 3/4 pound of Swiss 3F. Will switch to it, 20-30gr under a couple 50gr T7 pellets. Last time I shot that load (.54 GPR) it holed a beer can at 60yds the first shot.

One caution when using the c02 discharger. Sometimes, the c02 blasts a hole thru the powder and exits the projectile, but leaves a ring of compressed powder around the inside of the barrel like a donut. With the next loading, you may get a hangfire, or will have a much larger powder charge that may affect your sight in point of impact. When using these dischargers I run a bore scraper down the barrel to dislodge any remaining powder ring before re-loading.
I've never experienced this or heard of it in 30 years of using one back when we had a local territorial match 1 of the guys adapted a 15 lb fire extinguisher for the matches but then most of the use was for dry balls

I've never experienced this or heard of it in 30 years of using one back when we had a local territorial match 1 of the guys adapted a 15 lb fire extinguisher for the matches but then most of the use was for dry balls
I have seen it twice in my 45 years of shooting BP guns. Once it happened to me with an old T/C New Englander. I unloaded the gun at the end of deer season using the c02 discharger, ran a patch with Barricade down the bore and put the gun in the safe. The following fall, I went to load the gun with my standard load and noticed the witness mark on the ram rod was a 1/2" above the muzzle. I pulled the ball and dumped the powder, then ran a patch down the bore and it wouldn't go all the way to the breech. A bore scope look showed the ring of powder around the walls of the barrel. I had to scrape out the powder with a breech scraper.
The other time a friend had the same ting happen to him
I suspect that in both cases, the load was heavily compressed and the powder became stuck to the barrel over time.

I've found on my T/C that I can take a slotted tip in the .30 cal range from my cleaning kit, stick a cotton cleaning patch through about halfway, and fold the remainder of the patch over the rounded end of the tool to clean out the breech. Seems to work famously on my rifle.
tip.jpg

100 gr T7 3f = @ a min. 120gr BP
Mag cap not needed

And ya didn't remove the nipple so the paten breech is all gunked up.
Magnum caps were all that was available the last few years. Freshest tin I have. I keep 10s and 11s on hand. Have taken the TC hunting years ago, only shot the GPR for fun a couple times. Friend I inherited them from rarely shot either, so got probably 300 11s along with the rifles.

Punched through the breech blockage. When the rain stops (Hurricane Francine remnants) will try shooting it clear.
Nipple pick and a stiff paint gun cleaner, think wire core plastic bristel pipe cleaner…

So this is a recurring theme: "TC such and such, with a patented breech won't shoot". Not being sarcastic here at all, but I have 2 "cheap, cr_ppy, budget" Ardessas that fire every single time with very good accuracy, and 2 TC Hawkens that are a royal PIA. I can make them both shoot with t-7 and cci #11's, but they are very fussy about ignition, until you have the bag of tricks down, and one is a terrible shooter [crappy bore] with everything I have put through it. And the other is no more accurate than either Ardessa. Guess which rifles I take hunting ? And both TC's have chronic flash channel/nipple issues that my other 2 rifles don't have. And I don't have to play nipple roulette to figure out what my Ardessas like. I can spend more money for more durable nipples for them, but they won't go bang any better. I walk into my local SGS and grab a 2 pack of Traditions nipples and back in business. No endless debates about the best nipple for an Ardessa. [or CVA]
So what is all the nostalgia about TC coming back to life with the same old Hawken ? How about an American company producing a moderately priced Hawken with a moderately higher price, reflecting better wood, fit and finish, better ramrod and ironing out the drawbacks of the TC ignition design. It happened in Spain with an American original. Maybe it could happen in America, even better, for a few dollars more. It wouldn't hurt either if the accuracy climbed a notch over the original TC's.
I notice, as well, a steady stream of threads complaining about the same problems with the Euro and Japanese TC Hawken knockoffs. I like the solid feel and walnut of the TC's, but their issues are just not that attractive to me.
I really wanted to love them, but they turned out pretty frigid. SW

Deep cleaned my TC .50 “Hawken” last week. Had fluid running out of the nipple. Dried, lightly oiled, kept muzzle down.
Got it out this evening. Loaded in the house, went out back, brand new tin of CCI #11 Magnum caps. Triple 7 3F 100gr load, lubed patch and ball (noidea how old, was white). 5 good hard cap set off strikes. Pulled the nipple, dislodged some crud. Tried again, no change. Ran the pick into the breach, hitting either the ball or a hard obstruction.
Is it safe to pull the nipple, add 5-10gr of Swiss 3F and try to fire it out? Did the breech plug ingest the entire charge and the round is blocking the channel? Not sure that is actually possible…
I know I can, and likely should, just use a ball puller. First time the rifle has been loaded in at least 10 years. Almost never have to pull a revolver ball.
What do you mean by “fluid”? You may have been using something that will not loosen BP fouling.

Back