• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bow:

I'm about to get started on the carving portion of my first project, and I can't decide if I'm discouraged that I will never approach your skill level, or inspired by how amazing your work. I'll think I'll go with "inspired". :grin:

Newbie Fred

Wish you success on the carving of your "first". My first was w/o carving because of lack of confidence. You've passed that "hurdle" and hopefully you've researched carving styles characteristic of the style of your build. Below is a pic of the tang carving of my second build which was "wrong" for a Lehigh.....live and learn.....Fred

This final color was a "mistake"... initially used a red stain that greatly overpowered the curl and the entire stock. I "heard" that the Lehigh LRs were red in color and I was actually shocked w/ the very red results. After many subsequent stainings and wet sandings to lessen the red color, at times it created a panic situation in which the pictured color was achieved.

Couldn't even begin to describe the procedure for the pictured color. Just thankful that it looks OK.

Of course the quarter sawn blank had outstanding curl which in the end, had a 3-D effect....it looks like it's very deep, but it's not deep at all. An illusion.

Since this 2nd LR, many different stains and chemicals have been used....the result is using a stain {s} that is simple to use.....Fred

Wow - that was your second build? Okay, now I'm even more impressed!

Newbie Fred

The pic of the "Lehigh" was my 3rd attempt and the 2nd attempt also resulted in a LR. The first attempt had the wrong forestock contour and at 80% shaped was relegated to my woodburner. All three were from blanks and possibly the first attempt should have been a precarve....would probably have saved me from having to make a very difficult decision.

Luckily the first attempt metal parts were all salvaged and used in the 2nd LR which I named "Ugly". I still have "Ugly" and "it" has beheaded many squirrels through the years. In addition to "it's" main function of squirrel hunting, "it" also has the job of looking down at me while I'm working on a new project.....reminding me of how NOT to build a LR......Fred

Back