• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Got Mine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hunted the Muzzleloader season in Illinois with no success. Saw more deer in my backyard than when I was out hunting. Illinois added another antlerless late season this weekend along with the one in mid-January. Got a button buck this afternoon with my .54 Southern Mountain flinter. It was around 10 degrees and I was standing on the downwind side of a tree with my gun leaning against it. Sure enough it came straight from up wind. The tree gave me enough cover so that I could grab my gun and cock it as the deer came closer. Took a snap shot at 25 yards. Not my best shot, but it went down in its tracks with a ball hitting at the point where the neck meets the shoulder. I'll still be going out to help 2 of my sons get theres.

:thumbsup:

good show!...and good luck with your boys tags.

Congrats! Makes you feel good when you stick it out in cold weather and with traditional gear. Admit it! Seriously, way to go!

Yeah. It felt good. Warmed me right up, too. I suggested to one of my boys that dragging the deer out would warm him up. It worked out for the both of us.

Grats smoothflinter. :hatsoff: I was out all day yesterday and never saw a deer moving. Did see a nice buck bedded on a hillside, but not an antlerless one could be found. Dang it was cold! I'm fixin' to go back out in a little while. :grin:

Must be nice to freeze your butt off! I was kidnapped and at the inlaws over the weekend! :v: :shake: :(

The Doc is out now. :v

Back