• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finding Flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauser182

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in Western New York and was wondering if flint can be found in my area? Does anybody have any information on finding flint for use in flintlocks? Where are the best places to look?

I don't know anything about New York but I've read that the best real flint is found in limestone deposits so if you know of any that might be a place to start looking. :)

Check around for any Lapidary or Gem & Mineral (ROCKHOUNDS) clubs in your area. Those guys can steer you where to look. Your odds of real flint are slim, but chert, agates and jasper are all stones that can work.
Jon D

You should have a New York State Geological Survey office in your state government. contact them, or any Geology department at a local university, and they will know where you can look for flint, chert, agates, jaspers, and other silicates. The Surveys were not established for this purpose- rather to locate and identify rock strata within the state to aid mining interests. But, the maps exist, none-the-less, and you can use them, too. Checking with Lapidary Arts stores/schools, and gem stores may also get you directions to find these kinds of rocks.

Good luck on your search. :thumbsup:

I have found the best place to find flint is at knap-ins. Check with any flint knappers in your area and find out when and where the next knap-in is being held. You can also check online for these events. There is always folks at these events selling rock. I picked up a 12lb node of good english gun flint for $20.00 just two weeks ago at a local knap-in. English quality gun flint is darn near impossible to find in the U.S. I would even venture to say that most of the 'found' flint in the U.S. is a high quality chert. I base my statements on the fact that I'm learning to knap flint under the tuteledge of a master knapper located in Black Alabama.

Back