• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished #3

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the 3rd gun I have built. I have learned quite a bit over the last couple years building these. I have cut my build time in half from my first one. This is my interpretation of a jp beck. Please feel free to critique
20161107_145623_zps9r2qp55e.jpg
[/URL][/img]
20161107_145644_zpsqsedzyvz.jpg
[/URL][/img]

From what can be seen, you did a nice job. Close up pics would show your excellent work a lot better......Fred

Hi Bigry,
You did a nice job. A couple of things. On your next build try to make the border around the lock much thinner. An 1/8" is plenty and it will help you make the lock and wrist area look more rounded. Make your cheek piece smaller by moving the front back and inch or so. Vary the width of your carved tendrils to add elegance and create movement. They also do not need to be very high, just 1/32" or so. Good luck and nice job.

dave

Thanks guys I built this gun for my son for his 18th birthday. I had a local guy do some engraving on it for me.
20161007_171028_zpsl8rp7aza.jpg
20161007_171058_zpsrd9o39bt.jpg
20161007_171119_zpss2fe5ush.jpg

Some nice work....just when are you starting the next one? A couple of "friendly" tips. The finials of the TG should be inletted...looks like they're not. Also, the inlet at the nose of the lock is difficult to cut, so I use a chisel that's close to the nose shape and "stab" it in which prevents tearing the cross grain.

Again....you did well....Fred

Hi Bigry,
That makes sense. It looks like "bright cut" engraving, which is common on jewelry but a lot of Western style engraving is done that way as well.

dave

Back