• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First... and second flintlock Rio

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, a buddy and I pointed the diesel SW again this spring. It seems we're on an "every other year" migration to Oklahoma, in search of Rio Grande gobblers and this year the birds did not dissapoint! I brought the flintlock on our last trip and I just couldn't pull it together... not so this year. Our first morning saw lots of birds, but after flydown the birds bypassed us and strolled off over the hill and gone. By 11am it topped 90 degree so we headed for some lunch and a nap. We hadn't been sitting for an hour on our first afternoon when three toms took interest our Dave Smith jake and came in. I bagged my first flintlock at 13 steps with 1 1/8oz. #6's over 80gr. 3F. He was a typical 2 year old with 3/4" spurs.

First flintlock Rio! :grin:
2011-04-0701.jpg

The next morning we waited where we knew the birds would be headed (a cattle feeding area) and about 2 hours after flydown they showed up. Some hens and jakes led the way, but eventually another gang of toms strolled in. We had a lot of eyes on us, but we made like statues for probably 1/2 hour and I finally got to drop the hammer on my second flintlock Rio. Another nice 2 year old, and I was thrilled.

Flintlock Rio #2!
2011-04-0801.jpg

The conditions in SW Oklahoma are amazingly dry - they've had only 1" of rain since last October. If they don't get their spring rains, there could be real problems in that region. I will be watching the weather there and praying for rain to help our southern friends.

2011 has been a winner already, with two more toms falling to the flintlock. Bring on the Easterns. :thumbsup:

Well now Mr. Baron....This just feeds my fire!

Two nice Toms and with a gorgeous flintlock as well....BEAUTIFUL!!!

Congrats and thanks much for posting this.

BTW, how far was the second bird when he gave up his ghost?

Best regards, Skychief. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent :applause: :applause:
How about some details on your fowling piece? Lock, barrel, maker, etc.?
Congrats and good luck with the Eastern birds.

Congrats! X2! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I still have almost 2 weeks of waiting to go. :v

Thanks fellas.

My gun is a Caywood Type "C" .62 smoothie with a straight cylinder bore. I load 80gr. 3F, 4 overshot cards, then 1 1/8oz. #6's and one o/s card to hold it all in. My max effective range is 20 yards and I killed my first Rio at 13 steps and the second at 12 steps. We were using a Dave Smith jake decoy and both birds were shot right beside it.

I love using the flintlock, for my own satisfaction and every tom I bag with it makes me smile. I also had one of our hosts and his 14 year old son shooting the flinter. We even got into a little shooting competition trying to hit things with prb. They are both experienced hunters and were very impressed with how quickly the flintlock fired and the effectiveness of the prb - a .600" prb really hits a milk jug full of water quite hard! I hope maybe I planted a seed of interest in them for traditional ML. :hmm:

I didn't figure it would be long before I saw you on here w/some dead gobblers. Way to go!
:hatsoff:

Wess

KyFlintlock said:
I didn't figure it would be long before I saw you on here w/some dead gobblers. Way to go!
:hatsoff:

Wess

I'm glad I didn't dissapoint. :grin:

I'm sorry I haven't been more active here, as of late. With two kids under 4 demanding attention and simultaneously trying to get a new business off the ground, I'm not sure if "normal" will ever return to our household. :surrender: :haha:

Latest posts

Back