• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First BP turkey!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, folks. Worked 7pm-7am this morning, same tonight. The morning was beautiful so I thought I'd take a walk behind the house before I got my nap in. I loaded up my new .62 renegade, thanks bdhutier. 65gr ffg, 70gr #6's. Walk was as good as I thought it would be. The woods were alive. Geese flying, songbirds migrating in force, squirrels everywhere. Almost wished I had brought the 36 cal. A couple hours in, I catch a glimpse of my quarry. A group of about 25 turkeys feeding off to my right. Maybe 40 yards. One bird seems to "make" me, and they all move off. I cant figure out where they went and continue to move slowly down the trail. About 15 minutes later, I see movement up ahead. As far as I can see, about 90 yards, the turkeys are up ahead feeding. They are having a grand ol time. about 50 yards out I have to make a choice, keep stalking, or go around to where I think they are going and ambush. I decide to move forward. Painfully slow, the renegade is getting heavy. Heart pounding, I slowly work my way up to a tree about shoulder width. This is as far as I can go. The closest bird is 20 yards. As I bring the gun up, it draws her attention. She looked for a second too long. When the smoke cleared, I had my first bp turkey. Bird and gun are cleaned and put up, I'm getting a shower and going to bed. Pics to follow later, when momma gets home. Thanks for listening. :wink:

That's fantastic and kudos on stalking to within 20 yards !!
(You didn't notice any 'chicken wire fence' around them, right? :grin: )

A Tom with a BP smoothbore is special, first one in particular
:hatsoff:

Mr. Roundball, I wish it was a tom, it was a hen. But even now after waking, I can't believe I pulled it off. So many eyes, so many ways to mess up. This was the most intense hunt I've ever managed to achieve success with. As I closed the distance, my heart would pound, and I'd realize each little step may be my last, and they would scatter, like so many times in the past. But this time all the stars lined up, and I was able to close the distance, and complete the harvest. I'm still stoked.

silly goose.....man that is great. I was second in line for the smoothy. Please let me know how it does with PRB....great hunt sir....

rick

Latest posts

Back