• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build. Deciding on which action to use etc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all,
This is a proof of concept project to see if I can get a barrel and lock together and get them to work. Today I cut my blank out for what I had planned to be a project using my India origin English lock. However somewhere along the way the shape just isn’t lending itself to the lock fitting in a way that I think will be aesthetically pleasing. However my Faux-quellet Portuguese lock does sit decently in the space I have for it.
Mistake 1 - didn’t leave initial blank large enough
Also there are some knots that showed up inside this wood (Ash) one where the thumb cutout will be and one behind the trigger - perhaps where the tang bolt might run.
I have plenty of room for a web and ramrod (the colored lines are just measurement at 1/4 below BOB and 3/8 below web and are just estimated lines). But now I have to get Faux-quellet back together and make sure it sparks since I haven’t tested it yet!!!

Anyway, I have read several books and watched many videos but actually doing it is another story. It’s just to entertain myself and apparently my cats and dogs who seem enthralled by the project.

BTW the woodshop we have in town is AMAZING.
IMG_4775.jpeg
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4775.jpeg
IMG_4781.jpeg
IMG_4766.jpeg

That shop looks incredible. What area do you live in that has this kind of program?

That’s an awesome resource. In my area our high school hasn’t had a wood o metals shop in almost 15 years.

You're way over my level of expertise and skill. Good luck to you. Be sure to post pics of finished result.
Lol no I doubt it!!! I’m winging it. But I have been doing some wood and metal work preparing for this. I’m not 100% happy with the locks I have I may opt for

Howdy all,
This is a proof of concept project to see if I can get a barrel and lock together and get them to work. Today I cut my blank out for what I had planned to be a project using my India origin English lock. However somewhere along the way the shape just isn’t lending itself to the lock fitting in a way that I think will be aesthetically pleasing. However my Faux-quellet Portuguese lock does sit decently in the space I have for it.
Mistake 1 - didn’t leave initial blank large enough
Also there are some knots that showed up inside this wood (Ash) one where the thumb cutout will be and one behind the trigger - perhaps where the tang bolt might run.
I have plenty of room for a web and ramrod (the colored lines are just measurement at 1/4 below BOB and 3/8 below web and are just estimated lines). But now I have to get Faux-quellet back together and make sure it sparks since I haven’t tested it yet!!!

Anyway, I have read several books and watched many videos but actually doing it is another story. It’s just to entertain myself and apparently my cats and dogs who seem enthralled by the project.

BTW the woodshop we have in town is AMAZING. View attachment 334608View attachment 334609View attachment 334610View attachment 334611View attachment 334612
Well The Lazzareeno stocks are distinctive fluted affairs . unlike your rough out .The English lock looks more in keeping with your cut out stock . Re knots You might plug them if there not bad Ide just go with them they didn't waste wood in the pit sawn days ! . Thats One SERIOS' Menz Shed' ! Making any ML is a balance of care & grunt,barrel in first then the rod hole as if you get that wrong it saves you the work of inletting the lock . if alls well then its lock in which gives you the knowing where the trigger & side nails go . the rest of is whittle of the bits of wood that don't look like a gunstock The vent should allow you to a line the pan but most modern barrel makers run too deep threads this puts your vent to far forward Compromise's your side nail ,not a good look .I lop of most contact bits of the barrel & bit of the plug. 'Three good thrids' is how the old boys put it ( A Brown Bess plug is scarce more than 3/8th inch deep ) Shumway's book on recreating the long rifle is a good guide if Buckly seemed focused on carving but its still useful . If its your first gun its" boldly going where few men in their right minds would even think of boldly going " to jest at Star Treck. But ignore that and have at it ( Most gunmakers would happily destroy their first gun Mine was UGlee but I thought it wonderful 200 more on Ime a bit better .
Regards Rudyard

Well The Lazzareeno stocks are distinctive fluted affairs . unlike your rough out .The English lock looks more in keeping with your cut out stock . Re knots You might plug them if there not bad Ide just go with them they didn't waste wood in the pit sawn days ! . Thats One SERIOS' Menz Shed' ! Making any ML is a balance of care & grunt,barrel in first then the rod hole as if you get that wrong it saves you the work of inletting the lock . if alls well then its lock in which gives you the knowing where the trigger & side nails go . the rest of is whittle of the bits of wood that don't look like a gunstock The vent should allow you to a line the pan but most modern barrel makers run too deep threads this puts your vent to far forward Compromise's your side nail ,not a good look .I lop of most contact bits of the barrel & bit of the plug. 'Three good thrids' is how the old boys put it ( A Brown Bess plug is scarce more than 3/8th inch deep ) Shumway's book on recreating the long rifle is a good guide if Buckly seemed focused on carving but its still useful . If its your first gun its" boldly going where few men in their right minds would even think of boldly going " to jest at Star Treck. But ignore that and have at it ( Most gunmakers would happily destroy their first gun Mine was UGlee but I thought it wonderful 200 more on Ime a bit better .
Regards Rudyard
Great idea on the breech plug. I have Shumway’s book will refresh my memory. Might solve the issue of how the lock sits on the stock. Have to send the lock to get a little TLC - has a few issues that need sorted.

Back