• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First build mistakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelFlinter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building my second gun. My first was a T/C hawken and I learned from it but that was over 7 years ago and it was simple.

Now I am building a Chambers smooth rifle and I have made a few mistakes. Like trigger pin on a down angle and did not fit behind the side plate. I have others but I think you get the idea.

I would love to hear the mess ups and what was done to fix them. That way maybe I won't feel as dumb and maybe I will learn from other mistakes.

Kickin myself in the Butt :cursing:

You're building your second rifle and you're kicking yourself because you've made a few mistakes? When you consider the relative ease of assembling a T/C kit, and the seven-year space between then and now, for the most part you can pretty much consider that this is your first go at building. You're being waaaaaay too hard on yourself!

Your trigger pin issue can be fixed with a pin made from some of the wood you'll remove from your stock as you work it. If your pin hole isn't too large, a round toothpick will work well. Neither method will be totally invisible, but a misplaced, plugged pinhole doesn't constitute the end of the world. As for the other mistakes you allude to -- run them by us. Someone will know how to fix anything and everything you've done.

Lest I sound too all-knowing -- you asked about mistakes that others have made. Oh, let's see. I've run the ramrod drill out the bottom of the forestock and up through the web between the ramrod hole and the barrel channel. Each time, I was building from a blank, and was able to use wood sawn from the sides of the forestock to patch the long, ragged hole. In the one case where the splice didn't even come close to matching, I inletted a wear plate -- a long strip of sheet brass that protects the thin wood in that area and, in this case, hides damage done in the building process.

I've split away pieces of wood I didn't want to remove, using a chisel to gouge off the biggest chunks prior to rasping things to shape in the butt area. Stainable wood glue works wonders in cases like that.

I've destroyed more lock parts than I can even remember, let alone count, due to bad drilling, bad heat treating, bad filing.... Thankfully, the same people who sell locks and lock kits also, very thoughtfully, sell the various individual parts.

Once every few months or so, also, I violate the rule about keeping one's hands out of the way of where the blades will go, should one slip. Since I'm right-handed, my left hand has an impressive buildup of scar tissue on it, including a really neat, numb lump at the end of my ring finger, which is the huge chunk of the tip I almost completely severed when the wood I was attempting to remove gave way unexpectedly.

And, lest this all sound too hopeless -- like some people are just incapable of getting it right -- throughout all this I've learned to build a pretty decent rifle. These were, with the exception of the self-mutilation, for the most part early mistakes. I learned from them.

Feel any better now?

By the way, after you patch the crooked pinhole for your trigger -- you don't need to drill all the way through. There's enough wood between the trigger mortice and the outside of the stock to provide a solid base for the trigger pin, without punching all the way through. This eliminates the need to position your trigger in relation to the sideplate.

Hey, where do you think the term, "cover up" originated? You are reciting your woes to a den of cover up's here.

I seldom make mistakes the same way, I always seem to contrive new ways to bring them about.

They say a photo is worth a thousand words ... be sure your right then go ahead!:cursing:

chara.jpg

Davy

It seems to me that the sign of a good builder is how well they can fix their mistakes. No, I don't view this as an excuse for sloppy work! We have all made mistakes, it's part of the fun! If the crooked trigger pin is the worst of it, you're really lucky.
Black Hand

I to am building my first gun, Chambers smooth rifle in fact. Lets see mistakes so far, Took a little to much wood inletting the breach plug tang. Knocked a good sized chip out around the lock mortice( I still have the chip though) Dinged the barrel in a few places. The soldering of the barrel lugs could have gone a better but they are on and aren't moving. I plan on fixing my inletting gaps around the tang by adding some real thin brass stock to the sides of the tang and widening the inlet a smidge. All of this and I haven't even gotten the barrel completely installed yet :grin:

I will say though that I am having a blast mistakes and all. Fortunately none of the mistakes I've made yet have been huge and should be pretty easy to fix.

Jack

I am not the most experienced builder in the world. I think that the rifle and pistol that I am working on now are #14 & #15. But #16 is already on the drawing board!

Every one of them has mistakes! I mismeasured for a barrel pin Saturday, so I have an extra hole to fill on #14. And I have to redesign the carving on the tang on #15 because of a slip...now there ain't enough "extra" for the original idea.

Like trigger pin on a down angle and did not fit behind the side plate.
If it really bothers you on this one, two thoughts come to mind. #1. Fill, and redrill. #2. Get a bigger side plate.

Relax, and have fun. :hatsoff:

You are learning the difference between an artisan and a craftsman. A craftsman makes very few mistakes. An artisan knows how to hide them. :thumbsup:

Misstakes are part of the excitment of making your own rifle.
I always get excidited very time I put the drill to an expensive piece of wood.
As far as misstakes on my first rifle.
One word comes to mind "rough looking" :redface:

It doesn't sound so serious to me! I found a small drill press is real handy...I don't know how many barrel pin holes I've had to plug!!!! Nobody can turn $400 worth of parts into a $200 gun like me!!! :rotf: ...loojack

Squirrelflinter, Thanks for this thread. It must be obvious by now that you are in good company, perhaps, incompetent at times, but GOOD company! My mistakes started with building my gun builder's stand! Hopefully, my .36 cal. squirrel rifle continues to progress without any major screw-ups. I'll be thrilled if my only mistake involves a mis-drilled pin! Good luck and best wishes on completion of a straight shooter! :thumbsup:

That's not a mistake. I've only built two, not from kits though. My first looks like Buchele said, "a barrel inlet in a log will still fire" or something to that fact. It still took a couple deer and one bear, though. My second looks much better (and shoots, too). You've done nothing we haven't done, which reminds me, toothpicks will work. Thanks for reminding me on the subject, as I got another gun to build......

IM glad IM not the only one making mistakes.
I went over my Tennessee rifle blue prints and cut my dovetail in the underside muzzle end for the barrel pin and after completeing this I figured out the measurement was wrong. The blue print used some chopped off brass end piece instead of the longer one mine was shipped with.
So I have 2 now but its hidden.
IM tired of working on mine and I need the space and time for other things like painting the rooms in the house before christmas. I slapped the trigger guard on the wood without inletting for it. I might inlay it later might not. I want this gun finished and shootable and out of my shop.

To all that responded. Thank you for makeing me feel better.
I even laughed a little a some of the stories.

I like to hear what was done to fix the things you have done. I do have other mess up's but from reading this forum I already knew how to fix them. Now all I have to do is learn how to prevent them.

Keep the stories coming it makes me smile to know that I am not the only one.

Stumpkiller said:
Davy,

Your artificial tiger-stripe ain't workin.
:winking:
chara.jpg

Yup ... your rite! But it do have plenty of character now! Its overflowin with it! :cursing:

Davy

Hey guys,

I am building my first gun. It's an early virginia from tvm. Started out on the partially inletted buttplate. Was'nt thinking in three dimensions yet. Well I ended up not having a straight line across my comb and the top of the buttplate. As a result the top edge of the buttplate points on a line more paralell with the line of the barrel. Make sense? I kind of rounded the back edge of the comb down to meet it. Anyway, no one who has seen it has made any comments. I am sure an experienced rifle maker would notice but what the heck. I'm learning and I am certain it will not be my last "oops". Looks like I am in good company.

Scott

Latest posts

Back