• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Deer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onojutta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my first deer on Saturday! Not just my first deer with a flintlock, but the first deer of my life after almost 15 years of hunting. Hunted in the pouring rain for two straight days, and after giving up late Saturday morning after hearing thunder and heading back to the cabin, I saw this guy out of nowhere. He trotted right toward me, got about 5 yards from me then turned and ran about 30 yards away and stopped. I knocked the calf's knee off my lock in the drenching rain, aimed and fired. After being loaded almost a week and after two straight days of soaking, my Lyman Trade Rifle fired and down he went! I thought it was a doe, but turned out it was indeed a button buck. Either way, it's a trophy to me. I don't know if I was more excited to have killed my first deer, or more excited that my flintlock fired. After hunting extensively with compound bow, modern rifles, and flintlock, I couldn't be more happy to have gotten a kill with the smoke pole. If I had to pick one way to be successful, it would be with a flintlock.

IMG_0535.jpg

Let me be the Third to say well done!.you beat the weather God's and won Congratulations on your first deer, save the hide ..make a rack with the hoofs.do something with your first deer that will last!There's only one first deer..and with a flint no less in the rain.Outstanding..Enjoy the fall...Dan

makeumsmoke said:
Let me be the Third to say well done!.you beat the weather God's and won Congratulations on your first deer, save the hide ..make a rack with the hoofs.do something with your first deer that will last!There's only one first deer..and with a flint no less in the rain.Outstanding..Enjoy the fall...Dan

Indeed! I told the butcher I wanted to keep the hide, and after giving me a funny look, I think he understood.

Congratulations! :thumbsup: It's going to be tender meat.

I've killed deer with centerfire rifles, percussion rifles, recurve bows, and flintlocks. Nothing matches the thrill of taking game with your flintlock. You have been bitten by the bug. There is no cure.

Way to go!! My first deer was taken with a flintlock at age 30, so I know how you feel. Do consider yourself fortunate that your rifle went off in those conditions and being loaded for a week. Can you imagine what you'd be doing to yourself right now if it didn't go off? :rotf: However, it did, and you're riding high, eh? Nice job! :thumbsup:

Wow. That is one of the best hunting stories I've heard in along time. 15 years to get your first deer and you did it with a flintlock. Not many people have that story I bet! Besides trench I guess anyway :grin: .

Yep you are in a rare club.

Ill just be an echo and say congrats. way to stick it out too!

Back