• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First flintlock Grouse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your woods look like my woods . . . but we're hilly hereabouts and the only standing water is from beaver dams.

Last week my wife and I were driving into town and five grouse were in a little flock beside the road. I have never seen five together; and they were obliging enough to wait patiently while I turned around and drove back. I hope the coyotes have starved themselves out somewhat and the grouse are making a comeback. I've flushed a couple while out bowhunting since Oct 1st and I hope to come back later in the season and poom away at where they were - my usual tactic for avoiding grouse plucking

HPIM0788.jpg

HPIM0787.jpg

The thicker the cover the thicker the birds....
We hunted county and National forests...
we just went in deeper than other hunters...
The lip ripping briar's held the most birds.
Had a big advantage hunting with my partners...some birds would kick up and fly one of our direction...That doesn't happen often when alone.
Have always found woodcock to be an easier target vs grouse.
Had 1 double flush and 1 triple in 4 days.
Its a pleasure to hunt behind a dog with a good nose. :thumbsup:

Camp feed...grouse and woodcock....

1cfe1947-aedb-412d-9f10-52e4bf304ed1_zpsbb2c6ff1.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics Dan. That is a birdy looking area and looks like you guys had a great time Happy "belated" Birthday to ya.. 56 ain't all that bad if ya' say it real quick :wink:

Shee-hee! I just found this thread Dan. Lovely stuff. I know by your PMs that you are living the life of Riley there in the game-choked woods of Wisconsin, but that tray of grouse and woodcock in bacon is just about more than I can handle!
:hatsoff: :applause:

:hatsoff: Happy "B" Day to ya.Congrats on a great hunt and pics. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Griz

Thank you all!..
We work for our birds..sometimes the sun shines on our efforts.
If You ever get a chance to try fresh grouse... it's right up there with the best. :grin:

Its a fact ...I ain't getting any younger! But I am Hunting smarter! Bonus!

Back