• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First gun kit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only ever ordered two things from Dixie Gun Works: their catalogue, and a .54 flintlock pistol kit by Davide Pedersoli. I guess I got lucky with the pistol kit, because it was back-ordered at the time, but they got more and had it shipped in about a week after I ordered it. It showed up a couple of days later and I was a happy camper.

That being said, everyone else is right on the money about getting the GPR kit from Midsouth. I have a .54 GPR flintlock (not a kit) and love it... it shoots great, feels great, and looks great. If this is your first gun, you may want to start with the percussion version, although... and this is the voice of experience here... eventually the flintlock bug is going to bite and you'll want one. They are a little more difficult to shoot, but once you figure it out, you won't go back. :redthumb:

Good luck with the kit, and keep us posted on progress. There is a wealth of experience on this board to assist you if you run into trouble (myself not included LOL... I'm still learning this building stuff).

"If I like it, I'll be looking to you all for top end guns."

"Any tips for a bunny rifle?"

Priceless pair of statements.

Is there any doubt that this guy is hooked and will be disposing of vast quanitities of time and money into ML guns and activities?

Sorry, could not resist.

My bunny rifle is a small bore Tennessee classic the parts of which are available from Track or Pecatonica. It is well suited for off hand shooting and was a good jump from kits to sets of rough parts. While not correct it is common to supply the large Siler lock with this set. You might examine other lock options if you go to this type of gun I have sighted it so that the shoulder of the rabbit is the aiming point and the shot strikes the head. This gives greater visibility of the rabbit's peculiar movement habits so that you do not lose him when he suddenly drops down out of your sights. I also like to use cross sticks for this type of hunting. The sound of the set trigger generally gets his head up into position for the shot.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Back