• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well im going on my first deer hunt in a few weeks and i'll be using my caplock! so excited! I was going to go during our firearms season with my deerhunter but since i dont have a bonus anterless tag we decided it would be best to wait til muzzleloader season so i can take one of either sex and wont have to focus on antlers.

Anyway im kinda excited and needed to spread the word some more lol wish me luck

First hunt is exciting for sure and I hope you have a good day.

And if you don't mind, let me also offer a piece of advise being about 50 years your senior:
Let safety and caution be your highest priority this first time out...excitement has a way of sometimes resulting in acting too quick, causing potential problems, etc, for all of us...there will be many, many, many more hunts for you.

And good luck
:thumbsup:

Yep safety is my #1 priority when dealing with anything that can take a life. I can buy meat at a store but you cant buy a new life.

just checked my calender and my seasons gonna be cut a bit short due to December drill oh well

***instructions*** 1) Open link in new tab. 2) skip add so theme song runs. 3) return here as song starts & read what is below. in a deep voice :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWGeRgFa-hI

Your mission, should you chose to except it.

Is to control your own (& some time other's) excitement & expectations and return safely.

Your hand will want to "fiddle" with your firearm, overcome this!

Your mind will want to "wish" things into being. If the deer is too far ....it's too far. Wishing, re-estimating, second guessing etc. will only lead to shooting at a deer 400 yards away.

Go hunt, learn a lot, come home SAFE! [/u]That is your mission![/u] Getting a deer is a happy bonus but NOT necessary for this to be a success. :thumbsup: Good luck, good hunting.

****Due to BATF restrictions this message will not self-destruct ****** Poof!!! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, or as we say: Weidmannsheil!
The first hunt is special.

Most important: be safe and bring back good memories and of course pictures for us :wink:

Silex

"Anyway im kinda excited"

Kinda excited???? On my first hunt I was twisted inside out, I was so ramped up and nervous. I had my first deer hunt at age 22 and didn't kill a deer until I was 26 even though I went every chance I could.
It's a wonderful sickness that is never cured.

Good luck to you! :v

Went out and comfirmed zero today at 50yds with a 85gr 2f charge and prb i got about a 4" five shot group. Because i figured i would be excited if i see a deer i ran 150yds before i shot to get my breathing and heart rate up. i shot the 4" group free hand as well. i can do way better in ideal range conditions but the deer woods aint an ideal range and the balls went where i wanted them to go and were all in the vitals so i am happy.

Yep trying to cover everything so i dont screw something up and wound the animal.

I try to shoot under simulated stress with all my guns including the MLers because i believe any gun is a fighting gun.

season starts on 6 dec. and ends the 21st. I wont be able to hunt the second to last day since that is my swearing in date so it would be nice if i can get one early but its okay if i dont.

Im assuming 85gr ffg is powerful enough to make an ethical kill.

85 is plenty. All you gotta do now is get one in your sights. Good luck to ya. :thumbsup:

Got the MLer license bought tonight and talked to the guys i am going with and found out that one of them is going on the first day and said i can go so saturday it is. :grin:

sat in the cold for 9 hours didn't see a single deer. Saw plenty of orange hats but i guess its frowned upon to shoot at those, dont know why :idunno: :rotf:

we were talking about going again tomorrow but i think i'll wait until a weekday or wear my body armor :shocked2: there was a couple times i got up and walked out of the woods because the other hunters displayed their stupidity by shooting in every direction.

Where are you hunting freekforge? Public land?

Even on public ground, I can't imagine a lot of shooting or hunting pressure for that matter this time of year.

If it's bad, you might try to secure hunting privileges on some private property.

yep public land there were people from all over the state there yesterday but i am thinking it will die down during the work week. I am gonna go on some private land towards the end of the season.

I saw 2 pickups with their beds full of people pull up and pour into the woods yesterday. when we got there 3 people (including my buddy and I) had signed in when we left there was about 50 names on the sign in sheet.

Back