• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the rifle at the Davide Pedersoli site I noticed that the shape of the butt on the walnut version is different from the maple version. It makes no sense to me.

I like you don’t know which BP rifle to get but I wanted to get into flintlocks and I had a Thompson Center cap lock that I built, form a kit, in the ”˜70s. So naturally I went with what I knew and got a TC flintlock. It was a factory gun. Lots of start up problems, theirs, or mine who knows? Now 4 TC’s, and two Lyman’s and two Pedersoli later, I feel a little more knowledgeable. I consider all side locks to be kit guns, whether they are true kits or factory assembled. The factories start but they simply don’t finish their products. The TC’s are closest, the Lyman’s are second and the Pedersoli is third. But in the end they all work well. My Perdersoli’s are the fanciest but there are lots of sharp edges and very strong frizzen springs. The Lyman GPR was the most accurate right out of the box but the lock is marginal and needs work. The TC’s have the best warranty and work well after you learn its quirks. There is nothing like flint and if I can learn to shoot it, so can you. It’s very addictive, as everyone will agree on that statement!

I will have to agree on the adictiveness of a flinter. My first three side locks were cappers. Then I built a flinter and that is all I shoot any more.

Latest posts

Back