• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlgraley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to muzzleloading, and am pondering my first purchase. I'm seeing some really nice kits that I think I can tackle, but in the interim, really wanting to shoot, I'm thinking about the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in 54 cal. Thoughts? Thanks.

The .54 eats a lot of lead, and is NOT necessary for hunting whitetail deer, or smaller game.

The Pedersoli gun has some problems, mostly because new shooters don't know it has a powder chamber, that is smaller than the bore diameter, and sometimes- not always-- these guns come with burrs and casting slag that partially blocks the flash channel from the nippple, or vent hole to the powder chamber. To get reliable ignition, powder has to be moved through the channel to the base of the nipple, or to the edge of the vent hole on flintlock versions.

I would recommend you look at a US made T/C rifle- either new or used, as your first gun. Take a look at our sale sight here and see what is available. You are more likely to get a good gun, and help in learning how to shoot it from members here, than buying a gun at Cabelas. And, you will pay less money. :thumbsup:

I have a RM Hawken and it goes boom everytime. Many people love theirs. I concur with Mr. Vallandigham and would stay away from Cabelas. Everything there is overpriced, unless you catch a sale.

Although I don't have knowledge of the inner workings of the rifle you've mentioned, I know that Pedersoli makes a quality product, as I have a 10 gauge side-by-side percussion that's fine built by them.

As a first rifle, of any make, I recommend a .50 cal. since supplies to feed it are more prevalent as well as a little less money. On the other hand, if you're planning on hunting elk or moose, the bigger rifle would be a better choice. So we sort of need to know what your intentions are as far as its' usage.

My son and I are quite happy with our .50 cal Lyman Trade Rifles, which for a little more than $320.00 new, are the best value in the sport. They're not pretty, they're just shooters, but man can they hit!

So let us know how we can help.

Dave

What Paul said about both Cabelas and Pedersoli is true. Pedersoli makes an nice rifle but some of their rifles have a small ignition chamber. It's not a problem if you know it is there and clean it well when you clean the rifle.

Another one you might look at is the Lyman Great Plains, GPR. Not as fancy as the Pedersoli but has similar lines and half the price. People I know who have them really like them.

Thanks all. I will not be hunting. Just recreational target shooting, and some friendly competition at the local rifle club. I have a penchant for larger bores, and have been told that the Pedersoli 54's are very accurate. But 50 would be fine. I have a weak spot for "pretty" guns, but perhaps the Lyman would be a better first choice. For a kit, I'm leaning toward the Track of the Wolf Jim Bridger Hawken.

I used to have one of the Bridger Hawkens, wish I hadn't traded it off. It's a nice rifle, but I'm not sure it would be the best choice for a first build.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide, and welcome to the forum.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I have a Pedersoli 12 ga SxS and it's a well made gun. Very pricey, but quality. Based on that one example, I'd be happy to buy another.

However, I also own 4 T/C Hawkens and a New Englander. They're less expensive and also very good guns. I probably won't buy another soon (unless the proverbial deal of the century slaps me in the face) because I clearly don't NEED one. But, gotta give them the edge over Pedersoli for value. Buying a used one from one of the forum members is an excellent suggestion.

Bottom line, however, is the Lyman GPR; I have two, one factory and one I built from a kit. The kit gun is my favorite. If you're going to do a 'bag of parts' kit, start with a GPR kit. You'll get a good education in putting one together without serious problems (they're 98% finished) and you'll have a fine gun when done.

Okefinokee Outlaw said:
Hello all. I'm new to muzzleloading, and am pondering my first purchase. I'm seeing some really nice kits that I think I can tackle, but in the interim, really wanting to shoot, I'm thinking about the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in 54 cal. Thoughts? Thanks.

I hear that Pedersoli has a nice gun...They sure look nice! I would, however, throw in a vote for the Lyman Great Plains kit...Lots of fun, and a GRAET shooter! Also I personally would REALLY support a .54, I went .50 to start with and now am selling most of them to upgrade. Alot of it is your use with the gun and philosophy when hunting; A .54 is A) not much more lead cost then a .50 and B) is a superior hunting round although some will say its "overkil" cuz grandpa used to use a .22 to kill griz with. :wink:
:2

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you find that price on their web site? I can only find it at the regular price of $455...

Nevermind, I found it. The KIT is listed at $365, the factory built rifle is still the usual $455.

I have a Rocky mountain Hawken and I think its one fine rifle. Like you Im new to this and this also is my first rifle. I can tell you this. I have only shot 100 balls outta this rifle and it went BOOM 99 times. The one time it didnt fire was because I dry balled it :grin: The first couple times I went to the range with it I was shooting 80 grains of 2f Goex, 530 round ball and a .015 prelubed patch. For being a novice I think this gun shot GREAT. Matter a fact,its a tack driver. Then I started to experiment with different patch lubes and a different thickness patches. My patches started blowing apart, my groups opened up and all went down hill. Well, thats why they call it experimenting.After that one bad range session I pondered for a few days and came up with the conclusion my patches were too dry. Way too dry. That is easily fixed. To make a long story short.I think this is an excellent rifle .A little pricey but a gun you will love for years to come.

You guys are really making this difficult. But I have sold some of my 20th century firearms, and am leaning toward the Pedersoli. Unless someone can point me elsewhere, it seems that Cabelas has te best price on the Pedersoli.

Go with the gun you like.

All muzzleloaders have a few quirks and I doubt that the under bore size powder chamber will be a problem as long as you use an undersize cleaning jag that will get into it to clean up the fouling that will develop there.

As for these undersize powder chambers (some call them Patent breeches) the TC Hawken also uses this design.

The larger caliber guns are less picky about the powder charge size than the smaller calibers.
Taken to extreme, a change of 5 grains will have a significant affect on a .36 caliber gun but a .54 caliber gun will hardly know there has been a change.

I will say that a .490 or .495 diameter ball for a .50 caliber gun is easier to find than a .530 or .535 diameter ball for the .54's.
Of course that depends on where you live, some areas having more gunstores with greater selections than others.

Anyway, welcome to the world of muzzleloading! :thumbsup:

Okefinokee Outlaw said:
You guys are really making this difficult.

Wrong.

What we're really doing is saying that no matter what decision you make, you really can't go wrong. So many guns, so little time........

Several folks have mentioned the Lyman GPR. I can't add anything new there except to say that I agree that it is probably the best gun on the market for the money. I have a .50 cal flikntlock GPR and it is SU-WEET!!! However, if this is your FIRST muzzlelolader, I do not recommend a flintlock for you. Get a caplock and use it for a while until you get completely comfortable shooting a muzzleloader. Then get a flintlock and you will love it. Flintlocks are a bit more persnickity to shoot and can frustrate a new comer to the sport. Once you learn to shoot a caplock and THEN move to a flintlock, you will most likely love it. Do it the other way around and you may drop out of the muzzleloading game and that would be a real shame. So, buy a good used caplock GPR and build a good flintlock kit and you will be set. Good shooting and have fun building that kit. Welcome to the sport of muzzleloading. Hope to see more of your posts. Keep us informed on how the build is coming along. Even a few pictures would be nice. :thumbsup:

My first and only muzzleloader is a pedersoli rocky mountain hawkens 54cal in maple. I love it. Had some problems with misfires but that was later found to be from to wet of a cleaning patch between shots.

Back