• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hummingbird

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in central IL, Sept. 28, have not seen a bird this morning. Had a number around yesterday and one right at dusk. The past week we at times at a dozen or more around.

It's possible I saw a Rufus this past week. Nearly all our birds are Ruby-throated. Some are not identifiable for whatever reason. Probably younger birds or females with little color. And I suspect our local birds have mostly migrated and I am seeing others on their way south.

What exactly does Red Dye do to hummers? I give them clear sugar water but sometimes put just enough dye in the mix to turn it pink. That way I can see out the window how full or empty the feeder is.
Hummingbirds are very attracted to the color red.
When I was getting my MS, we studied the pineal body in top-water minnows for changes resulting from sun angles. I have wondered if other animals have similar changes, but I know I could not do the dissections on hummingbirds.
It is enough for me to enjoy seeing them each year. Often, either my girlfriend or I would wear a bright red shirt, the little hummers would be attracted to it, and come visit right up close.

51 degrees this morning, O-hi-ho. About 70 mi NNW of Columbus. No hummingbirds this morning.

As an old south Florida boy, also Philippines, Bahamas, Brazil, I do wonder what the heck I am doing this far north.
Oh yeah - great VA care!

Time to dig out the thermals!

We pulled the small feeder. Just the big one still out. Had several birds come through yesterday, 10/4 here in Central IL. Already this morning, 10/5, while waiting for water to boil to make coffee I saw at least two birds. Perhaps three. Big birds, so I assume adults. Whereas yesterday they were small birds with one being a tiny little thing.

Forgot to hit the post reply button.

So here it is 10/6 and I open the front door to see a bird on the feeder this morning. So, they are still coming through. Was 87F yesterday. Without cold weather perhaps the urge to migrate isn't as strong. Lots of late summer flowers in bloom and going to be warmish for a time yet.

Latest posts

Back