• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes to what everyone is telling you .
Welcome to the sight .
If this is your first bp rifle , be warned your gonna become a bp junkie . No use in trying to fight it it won't work , just feed it and have fun . :grin:

I have a Custom California Half Stock by A. Fautheree. It weighs a ton with a 1 1/8" barrel in .50 cal.

I've loaded it with a .497 ball, 100gr of 3F and, yeah it kicked but nothing like my Rem 700 30-06.

I hate the recoil of my '06 and hate shooting it.

I love shooting my ML.

Effective recoil = mass X velocity / time. Black powder burns much slower than smokeless and the time required to accelerate the ball to velocity is about three times more than smokeless. Hench the long barrels on a longrifle. This results in a shove as opposed to a slam. So effective recoil for a given bullet mass isn't as bed. Also, a lot of the larger rifles have a half moon shaped but pad. This helps spread recoil over a larger area of your shoulder. The larger the area, the less recoil per square inch. Start with about 60 grains and work up from there. A minnie ball with 60 grains was the standard load during the civil war and it was enough to be devistating. If I wee hunting bear, I would bump it up a bit.

What will you be hunting with your rifle?????
I have the same rifle in 50 cal,,less cost to shoot,less recoil.Dont believe there are any animals in NY that,with the correct shot placement, wont lay down to the 50 CAL.I killed a couple of deer over in the Elmira/Woodhull,NY area with my 45 cal.
We have Black Bear here,wouldnt hesitate for a blink to lay a 50 in one,,with the correct load/projectile/ shot placement.I also hunt with my 45,,no Black Bear in it's future,not fair to either the shooter or the shot.
As to recoil,I explain it this way in class,B/P is a push,,smokeless is a punch/slap.
That said ,"I's all in what you want.
Shot many 30/06,308,in 220-150 grain slugs, factory and custom loads,no comparison to BP.
Smokeless hurts both near and far,, so to speak....

Latest posts

Back