• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shots with new GPH barrel...I'm impressed!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
After filing half of my front site off to get on paper my new .54 GPH barrel is impressive.
I was shooting 380 grain REAL's lubed with Lee liqiud alox with wad over 80 grains of 2f Goex.
I have never been able to get good groups out of these REAL's with 1:48 twist barrels.
Out of the 1:32 they are great!
I tried 450 grain Lyman plains bullets and 430 grain T/C Maxi's also but got about 3 inch groups. They will require some fine tuning.
So far so good with the new barrel!!
GPH380REAL80g2fWad50yd10-23-0547Rai.jpg

Huntin

Congradulations. I too have not had any luck with Reals in 1:48" anything. I'm going to see if they do well in my new 1:66" .50 cal.

Freestnding or Bench??? I'm quessing bench. My 50 cal GPR shoots like that from the bench, freestanding, I'm lucky to keep them on a paper plate. Just started shooting. less than 100 rds out. At 52 yrs old I got a last start, but better late than not at all :front:

Grampa just hang in there. I have you bested by about 15 and am loosing a little but still beat the young whippersnappers at times. That 50 yd target would be proud to have by anyone but those heavy bench shooters. Looks like the boy has a good hunting rifle to me. I like the 385 buffalos but don't like the recoil so generally stick with the PRB It's good as far as I can see.
Fox :thumbsup:
Practice,More Practice is the answer.

hmm lubing the reals with lee liquid alox... why didnt i think of that? I havent been able to do diddly with them with beeswax/crisco type lube. I dont get a snug enough fit. I'm gonna try that...

You pretty happy with the snugness of fit with the lee reals using alox? Or do they slide in super easy, not tight enough?

They load like they should. The band is engraved by the rifling and they push downbore easily. Not overly snug. They shoot great. I have not so great accuracy with my maxi and plains bullets I make also. I lubed a bunch of them with alox and I will try them tomorrow. I'll let you know how they shoot.

Huntin

Back