• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First smoothie PT 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
First off, since it was seen fit to lock the previous thread before I could say one more thing to TG I want to say..... I apologize.

What started out as a misunderstanding on TG's part, turned into something worse on mine. TG took offense at something I said that was not meant to be offensive. His responce made me mad and I said some things that at the time I felt were justified. After thinking on this for a few days, I regret letting it devolve into what it did. His responce hit me the wrong way and I went with it. TG can come across as an a$$ sometimes. So can I. That does not excuse rude behaviour on my part. My mother did not raise me that way and I will try not to let my temper get the best of me anymore. Again I would like to apologize to TG in front of the entire forum. I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong. I hope we can forget about this.
Marshall (MJN)

Now, I have decided on an early english trade gun kit from North Star West. Is this gun right for 1750s through the Revolution and into the early fur trade?

I'm not sure, there are people here better to answer that one. But I did put together that parts set, turned out a nice gun, just not sure on the dates. Not sure where your from but Mike Brooks makes a "Carolina Gun" parts set that might be worth looking into as it fits those dates.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/brookskits.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike's Carolina gun is superb. With a 48 in barrel, it still made a light 6lb fowler. A slender beauty.
TypeG005.jpg

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is, how common would this type of gun have been in the east(western Virginia)as opposed to like a north west trade gun. I don't figure a NW gun would have been seen much in the east.

Is there a difference between an early english and a "carolina"? As far as the NW guns, I figured they were called "North West" for a reason. :wink:

IMHO, I think the profile like the one Mike is talking about is the most common and most proper.

Another thing to consider, Mike has a step by step Tutorial on building the Carolina on his website which would be a big help if this is a first time build.

I don't figure a NW gun would have been seen much in the east.
Remember that the "Northwest" referred to in 1760 was the New York/Ohio border. How far East are you considering?

Trade guns were very popular in New England and around the Great Lakes. Further south the English and homespun (VA/Carolina) fowlers gain popularity.

I am thinking of what a western Virginia (WV) farmer/hunter from VA, mainly farmer who hunts for food would have had. I am a cattle farmer in WV born and raised in VA who hunts in real life, so I figured that's what I would base an impression on. :wink:

Back