• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first squirrel of the year, shot with a pistol !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i decided to stray away from the norm of hunting with my custom 32 cal flintlock or double barrel muzzloading shotgun and try something new and especially challanging. i decided to try using some of my blackpowder pistols. i chose to practice with my 36 cal revolver and 32 cal crockett pistol. after 40 shots between the 2 i decided to use the crockett pistol. while it had only one shot it pulled ahead in consistantly being accurate which is name of the game in squirrel hunting. you dont need 6 shots if you can kill them with 1 :haha: i decided to try out public land for once to see how the squirrel hunting was there. after an hour of seeing no squirrels i made the mile walk back to the car to go hunt at my house. i got home and snuck into the woods behind my house. within 10 minutes of stalking around i looked up to see a nice fox squirrel 20 yards away looking at me in a tree. i slowly drew my crockett pistol from the holster, aimed right at its shoulder and squeezed the trigger. the squirrel dropped from the tree stone dead ! i was very happy with my squirrel. i love pistol hunting and i have been steadly converting over to mostly pistol only hunting. the increaced challange and reward is unbeatable. i took the squirrel home and skinned it. i will use the skin and try mounting the squirrel. i pressured cooked it for 15 mins and then fried in a cast iron skillet. i just finished eating it as i write this topic. it was absoutly delishous. i will be using my pistols more and more this year. cheers SS.
crockettsquirrel.jpg

Great shot and hunt. Glad you got out to hunt. Hope you get some more in the future as they are hard to beat for eating. I know you will. :thumbsup: PP Dilly

Nice, I just got the crockett pistol kit hope to get it put together for our season opener oct 1st. I got it mostly as a compaion to the rifle but I like to pistol hunt too.

Back