• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First squirrels of the year...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I managed to scratch down two greys this morning here in Indiana. Used my southern 45 caliber flinter. They were cutting pretty good on shagbark despite the heat. The cicadas started chattering about 9:30 and the squacks seemed to have their fill by then.

Anybody else hunting any limb-bacon?

Sounds like good shooting too...we don't have any early seasons like that...but to be honest, the heat and humidity here are still stifling at this time of year

I usually get out the first weekend here in Indiana. Not this year. I was at my clubs muzzleloader shoot yesterday. I might not be able to get out until Sept. or Oct. for squirrels.

Our season in Oklahoma runs from May 15 thru Jan 31. I went a lot early in the season, the tree rats are thick.
It's just been to dang hot to go here lately.

Pat

Mid-October here too in NC...the bad news is it parallels deer season so deer hunting trumps it.

Then when deer season ends Jan 1st, squirrel still runs through Jan & Feb but by then there's not a leaf on a tree and unless you have a squirrel dog, they're impossibe to get close enough to.

In the volunter state the season starts on the fourth saturday in august. The limit is ten tree rats , I've never killed a limit on squirrels...............watch yer top knot...........

roundball said:
Mid-October here too in NC...the bad news is it parallels deer season so deer hunting trumps it.

Then when deer season ends Jan 1st, squirrel still runs through Jan & Feb but by then there's not a leaf on a tree and unless you have a squirrel dog, they're impossibe to get close enough to.

Man that really bugs me, I wish NC would open up squirrels mid September so we wouldn't have to compete with the deer hunters. Chris

Skychief said:
Anybody else hunting any limb-bacon?
I finally got out on 8-26 and collected a couple of big fox squirrels. We have an early season in Kentucky, June 5-17 this year, but it was mostly too hot for me to hunt, only got out once. Regular season opened 8-21, but it was still too hot for the first 5 days. Had a nice cool morning on Thursday, spent three hours hunting with my .40 caliber flintlock rifle. Good to get out, few things are more fun for me when it comes to BP than squirrel hunting.

Spence

How hard is it to hunt when the leaves are off down there? I never heard of a rat dog till I lived close to D.C. for a few years. Up here I just sit in a spot that has some camo and call. Now this is with a rim fire but it can't be much different than with a .32 or a .36 cause I'm still shooting everything under 50 yards.

Up here in Jan or Dec you have to wait till you get a warm day then hunt next to a feed source like standing corn(my favorite) or Oak trees. Just sit tight like a deer stand and wait. They move slow in cold weather just like me.

A few years ago my bride had the flu and I cooked rat, well she parked lunch and has not wanted to eat it since. Last year my dog died right before grouse season so now I'm thinking maybe I should hunt rats instead of grouse without a dog.

Thanks for this thread, think I might have to go to the range and keep an eye out for a .36.

apache 130 said:
How hard is it to hunt when the leaves are off down there?
I guess hunkered down just sitting/waiting for one to possibly show itself in range would work, but my comments were oriented towards still hunting...without some sort of concentrated food source that would attract several squirrels to an area, still hunting covers more territory which normally means more squirrel sightings, but with naked woods they usually see me long before I see them and its tough to get close enough for a shot...a good squirrel dog makes a big difference under those circumstances

roundball said:
...a good squirrel dog makes a big difference under those circumstances

Plus it's more fun.

Picture679.jpg

Picture038.jpg

In the second pic, there is a possum up that little birch, I think Rusty really hates possums. LOL

Back