• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthompson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have decided to try my luck at deer hunting this coming season with my muzzleloader. I am 52 years old and have never blackpowder hunted. I have taken deer previously with modern rifles,but this will be a first for me.
Since all of my surgeries are over, and I have healed up about the best that I am going to, I am pointing myself in the blackpowder direction. I have got to get my rifle sighted in the best that I can and try to find a load combination that my rifle likes.
I try to read all of the post's that I can in the forums here and I often ask everyones advice on a particular subject. It may be old to you but it is new to me. But, I am trying to learn all that I can as fast as I can.
I know that November will be here before we know it but I think that I can get myself ready. At least it gives me something to look forward to.

Well you sure are in for a treat Vernon cause there's nothin like hunting with a fine muzzleloader that you have all the confidence in the world and then finally harvesting a deer with it, no matter how big it is, bringing home the meat like our forefathers is something special and a feeling you'll never forget. You'll just wonder why you waited so long to do it in the first place.... :thumbsup:

I agree with Swampy!There is nothing like hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader.I love killing Deer with a ball made out in my shed.Anyone can slam a modern cartridge in a Breech and shoot something.

Halftail said:
I agree with Swampy!There is nothing like hunting with a Traditional Muzzleloader.I love killing Deer with a ball made out in my shed.Anyone can slam a modern cartridge in a Breech and shoot something.

I know what you are talking about and I can't wait for November to get here already.

It is gonna get in your blood. You will start thinking about it year round. Good Luck!!! Hope you kill a nice one.

nchawkeye said:
Tell us about your rifle...What are you planning to try for a load combination???

I own a T/C 50cal. Hawken. I have been talking to a few of the guy's in the forum here so whenever I get all of my supplies shipped in(powder,balls,patches,etc) I am going to start from scratch in trying to find a load that my rifle likes.

What a refreshing attitude. Someone who understands the importance of an accurate hunting load. IMHO, once you find that load shoot the daylights out of that gun, so's you know where it shoots at all effective ranges.

IMHO, there aren't enough people who do that. It's good to know that you understand the importance of an accurate load and an intimate knowledge of your gun, and how it relates to a successful hunt. :thumbsup:

God bless

I appreciate your post. As far as an accurate load and knowledge of my gun-I wouldn't have it any other way.

You are about to be bitten by a serious bug! I hunted for years with a .243 and a .25-06. Only cared about horns and how far I could shoot. I started hunting with black powder and sold them off. When that flint strikes frizzen and you kill your first deer with it you will be hooked for life. I get just as excited over small does as I do bucks, except for bucks I now think about all the measures, knife handles, and buttons I can make from their horns. Good luck.

woods loper said:
You are about to be bitten by a serious bug! I hunted for years with a .243 and a .25-06. Only cared about horns and how far I could shoot. I started hunting with black powder and sold them off. When that flint strikes frizzen and you kill your first deer with it you will be hooked for life. I get just as excited over small does as I do bucks, except for bucks I now think about all the measures, knife handles, and buttons I can make from their horns. Good luck.

Thank you, I am looking forward to it.

Congratulations on your return to health, along with the insights and attitude you acquired along the way.

Here's a bit of unsolicited advice:

Like everything else in life, the first time is often the best and certainly the most memorable.

How about planning to do something special with that deer? And I'm not talking about a head or horn mount.

Save the fat for rendering to tallow and making your own lubes and anything else that comes to mind for it.

If it's got horns, don't mount them on the wall. Hack them up for making powder measures, knife handles, buttons and more.

Get that hide tanned or do it yourself, then use the leather to make stuff for your hunts.

The more ways you can use that first deer rather than wall glory and in addition to freezer fodder, the better. That way it will always be with you as a reminder of a very special day and a memorable accomplishment.

As you start developing your powder charge and patched round ball combination, remember that gun will never be a .30-06. You don't need cannon loads of powder. Find the most accurate charge however light it is. I have a .50 cal flint lancaster with a 44" barrel that is deadly with 60 grains of 3f goex. Off a bench rest it will keep the balls in a 6" circle at 100 yds. Every deer I have shot has been a clean pass through. They usually drop on the spot or run a very short way. This is only to say don't punish your shoulder and gun with 90-100 grain of powder when 60-70 shoots better and kills just as dead.

I have alresdy given that some thought, and whenever I start shooting I am going to start with 50 grains. I have 2F powder coming my way so that is what I will be shooting. I will also be shooting a .490 ball with a .018 ticking patch.

thats a good ball patch combo. i am heading to the range today myself to see how 60 grains of fffg shoots.been using 70 grains also gonna go back to .490 with .18 patch cause i for got how accurate it was.this is my 3rd year hunting with flintlock. if you like it half as much as i your in trouble! i am a hopeless case now.

Latest posts

Back