• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fixing a poor job

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Mr. Clark, I see I am not alone. Yesterday i received a new gun from what i thought was a well known and respected builder. By the way, mine is also cherry and I was going to finish it myself. Maybe we got them from the same place!?

Anyway, after looking over every inch for the last 24 hours and bemoaning the fact i will miss another black powder turkey hunt, I have decided to ask for a full refund and send it back. I simply dont have the time, place or experience to do what I feel I already paid someone for.

Heck, I cannot even get the ramrod out! The hole is drilled drilled off center and it will not budge! I was about to take a pair of pliers to pull on it but was so frustrated at the other problems on the gun I simply packed it back in the box.

I am hoping for a good end to all of this and if i get it, great. if not, I will let everyone know the name of this maker, post the email correspondence, and pics.

Like you, i am more dissapointed than ticked off. I was really looking forward to having something to be proud of. Right now, after bragging about my soon-to-arrive gun to my shooting buddies, I am too ashamed to even show it to them.

Bill

Mike those are some bad looking worm holes. Can you explain how to fix them, I just ran into some worm holes on a piece of maple.
As far as the guys haveing a problem with the gun builder call him remember you placed the order and you should be happy with the product you recieve, I he does not make it right with you he will not be makeing guns for sale for very long. Something not right about this. Did you ask for a cheaper price like a 2nd?

I some cases it works very well. Working the wood tools not only removes wood but tends to compress it in the process. By swelling it (as in whiskering) you tend to bring it back to its' original position. Admittedly, it won't close large gaps, but it sure does help. Seems to work better on walnut than it does on maple, and is probably related to the grain of the wood.

Mike Brooks said:
$1000 is not a lot of money for an in the white gun. These days parts alone will run $700 to $900. I wouldn't put together an in the white gun for a couple hundred bucks. You get what you pay for.
To properly fix this you'll have to inlet wood in the gappy areas and re inlet the parts. Personally, I'd send it back.
Wood repairs can be made invisibble.
ooops.jpg

smalley8.jpg
And thus the reason you are the master :bow: :bow: :bow:

Actually, it wasn't a grand, it was a little over 1100.oo because the barrel was finished. I have sent an email to hte maker listing the problems and asking to return for a refund. We'll see what happens. I would have prefered to buy a used one for the same price at this point.

Got any .20 guage Tulle's or Trade Guns out there for sale? send pics if so.

billholmes said:
Got any .20 guage Tulle's or Trade Guns out there for sale? send pics if so.

Check North Star West for Trade Guns. You can buy a completed gun for about what you paid for your other gun in the white.

Check all the trade blankets on all the forums there are usually some fusils or NW guns for 800 bucks or so, the PC factor is usally weak, lots of maple stocks and short barrels, wrong locks, but the prices is about the same as a new set of parts.

Darker "antiqued" finishes may hide fit issues, but will magnify poor shape and architecture.

I believe a lot of it is a matter of personal taste.

If you feel you've been ripped off even the slightest, it will bug you every time you pick it up.

Send it back, get what you want, be happy.

Life's too short for crappy rifles. :v

"Life's too short for crappy rifles."

Now we have a special kind of rifle! we have canoe guns, blanket guns, fantasy guns and now crappy rifles...I thing the old standby of a jig or thin strip of cut bait would work better if one is seriously going after crappys

Mr. Gray said:
If you feel you've been ripped off even the slightest, it will bug you every time you pick it up.

Life's too short for crappy rifles. :v
Boy that is the truth!!! even after they're fixed, and fixed right...there's that lil twinge... :cursing:

I contacted the builder of mine and he was great. He offered a full refund and i shipped it back. Now its just a matter of waiting to see how long it takes. I think, from how accommodating he was, that though I didn't like what I got, he is a very good guy to work with. I should give hte benefit of the doubt i suppose and hope this was a one time thing. I have seen another rifle he made that was incredible.

Latest posts

Back