• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a patch dampened with spit in the field or at the range, and a toothbrush and soap and water at home to clean off the flint, top and bottom of any residue that gathers there. If the cock screw gets wet, I will dry it with paper towels, and then put a drop of oil on it so that no rust gathers on those threads. I will oil the cock jaws and the rest of the cock with a light coat of oil, or wonderlube, but I leave the face of my frizzen dry and clean. The backside will get some wonderlube to protect it from flash rusting, and the pivot screw always gets a drop of oil, and a check with a screw driver to see that the screw is not backing out. After a long shoot, or after several shorter shooting session. I remove the lock from the stock mortise, and give the insides a good cleaning with soap and water. Rinse, dry, and oil. Check all the screws for tighteness, and give the lock plate a good look to see of anything is rubbing that shouldn't. Then a light coat of oil to protect the surfaces from rust, and the lock goes back into the mortise. Done.

I have a very small zip lock plastic bag that is full of cleaning patches soaked in 99% rubbing alcohol. Outstanding for cleaning the rock and the pan after each shot. The rubbing alcohol is the way to go!

Ace-Man said:
I have a very small zip lock plastic bag that is full of cleaning patches soaked in 99% rubbing alcohol. Outstanding for cleaning the rock and the pan after each shot. The rubbing alcohol is the way to go!
I save our old washcloths and use one of them with a bottle of alcohol when shooting at the range.

For hunting, I use the little individually foil wrapped alcohol wipes...great for cleaning the frizzen, pan, and flint after a shot when out hunting.
I carry a few pint sized ziplocs made up as pocket cleaning kits...each one has 4 wet cleaning patches, 4 dry patches, a lubed patch, pipe cleaner, q-tip, and alcohol wipe...stuff all the dirty fouled stuff right back in the bag, seal it up and carry in out...no mess, no litter, and a clean Flintlock to continue hunting.

FieldCleaningKits1000pix.jpg

Back