• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Double ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Of the 16 muzzys I have no flinter double.One is coming up at an auction.Sale is tomorrow.Previewed this afternoon to get an idea.
Well the metal all looks origional.Very top of barrel between the touch holes looks like a flower with a tulip rolled to the outside edge on each barrel.Slightly above that 3 letters.Bores look in the 28ga. area.They put it on a maple stock.Have seen better jobs and have seen alot worse.
Any Ideas on maker?(French?)Thinking about buying. :confused: Not totally convinced yet.This is the 1st I've seen and not sure of value.Taking bore light tomorrow.Might get some pics anyways.

Is a flint double gun even physically possible? How do you fire one barrel without igniting the other?

Howard Artel said:
Is a flint double gun even physically possible? How do you fire one barrel without igniting the other?
Well, they've been made for centuries so I'd say so...LOL.
They have 2 separate barrels & locks, no different than a SxS caplock double

I like 28s, so I would be very tempted if it was in good condition and I had the money. Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out if you dont mind please. I'm curious about these but have never had a chance to handle a flint double.

I avoided temptation by going 4hrs after it was sold.Just wasn't exactly what I would have liked.Auctioneer said he can't remember exactly but he thinks it brought somewhere between $600-$1,000.

roundball said:
Howard Artel said:
Well, they've been made for centuries so I'd say so...LOL.
They have 2 separate barrels & locks, no different than a SxS caplock double

I saw a horse (hoss???) pistol in a museum over the weekend that was a flint double. Honkin' big thing. Interesting. I'll post a pic later. Dunno if here or in handgun forum.

I currently have several double flinters (all shotguns) and I have had others come and go. Without pictures,I couldn't even guess what it is and where it was made. Like any gun, a good one is a real joy to use. But again, like any other gun, I piece of junk is nothing but no fun.

Do a search on this site and you should find many discussions on SxS flinters.

Darto said:
quote To my knowledge, this is the first time flintlock double barrel shotguns have been produced as a regularly manufactured item since the 19th century! unquote
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MDBF.shtml

If true, interesting none were made in the 1900's reproduction era as a regular cataloged item.

I don't know anything about the gun referenced, but will assume it is a 'safe, functioning' double made in India. I have never seen one other than this picture. Even so, it is amazing to me that they can make that gun, sell it for enough profit to make it worthwhile, ship it here, the company named resells it for enough profit to make it worthwhile! The double rifle I made about five years ago cost nearly that much in barrels and locks. :idunno:
Robby

Last edited by a moderator:
Darto said:
quote To my knowledge, this is the first time flintlock double barrel shotguns have been produced as a regularly manufactured item since the 19th century! unquote
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MDBF.shtml

If true, interesting none were made in the 1900's reproduction era as a regular cataloged item.

I don't know anything about the gun referenced, but will assume it is a 'safe, functioning' double made in India. I have never seen one other than this picture. Even so, it is amazing to me that they can make that gun, sell it for enough profit to make it worthwhile, ship it here, the company named resells it for enough profit to make it worthwhile! The double rifle I made about five years ago cost nearly that much in barrels and locks. :idunno:
Robby

Last edited by a moderator:
I have drooled over the double barreled Flint Mantons at TheRifleShoppe but can't bear the wait after ordering the parts.

I would google Manton Double Barrel Flint Shotgun if you want to see a real double flinter and not that other garbage posted.

I have drooled over the double barreled Flint Mantons at TheRifleShoppe but can't bear the wait after ordering the parts.

I would google Manton Double Barrel Flint Shotgun if you want to see a real double flinter and not that other garbage posted.

Latest posts

Back