• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Trap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that flints are not for me. Looked like fun, but I just don't have the time, and wife ain't gonna give it to me.

All flint guns are not created equal. If you bought the el cheapo model you probably got a turd that won't work. You get what you pay for.

:rotf:

OK speedtrap, I'll bite...what's the situation?

Flintlocks definitely are a different animal.
Normally can't just take one to the range like a new .22 rifle and start banging away.
Need to learn about them...read up on them...ask questions...get your gear assembled..."plan" a range trip, etc.

After a couple outings you'll have things figured out, things will start to make sense, and you'll probably find yourself using all other forms of firearms less and less over time...there's just a lot of things to gulp in all at once

I'm guessing you mean yours is a Flint version of that caplock model...

But OK, if its not for you, its not for you.
But, you might just really be aggravated right now...sleep on it...if you want to start peeling the onion in the future we'll be glad to help

No confusion Speedtrap, Sorry I was just having some fun with the name of the thread. Flintlocks just aren't for everyone but I hope you didn't give up on it to soon. I firmly believe you need a good quality flintlock in order to enjoy them.

Speed Trap said:
Sorry for the confusion, it is the flint rifle, not flints. Its this rifle.....

I mean, i hit the target each time, but it just is not for me. Did well with my percussion though....

:haha: yup, had one of them, long time ago..was ready to give up the ***** flinters too, then shot a "better" flinter... oh my! :grin: what a difference! hooked.......... :wink:

Rifles like this one are why many of us always suggest that someone new to flintlocks buy the best gun he can afford. This is not a good flintlock or anywhere close to a top shelf rifle. A fine flintlock is a good introduction to shooting them and poor quality, built-down-to-a-price locks have driven many a new shooter back to percussion guns. That's a real shame and I hope you'll move past this and eventually get into flintlocks again, as they are very rewarding in so many ways.

Of course if you just don't like or enjoy flintlocks then it's understandable, or maybe not. Anyway, caplocks should suit you fine. Nothing wrong with them, AT ALL! Just don't drop out of the black powder market.

This is not a good flintlock
And that would be your opinion. Have you ever owned one or tried one out? Or are you getting your vast experience from internet heresay?

I'll admit, they aren't the greatest flinter out there but they are are far cry from being as bad as you make them sound.With a bit of patience, the gun can be set up to operate quite reliably.
I know this because I own one, I didn't just read about it from internet experts.
I read a new post from Claude the other day about negative posts being cause for banning members.
If this post of mine gets me the boot, so be it. But RTF, I'm sick and tired of your negative posts and attitude.
Post something positive once in a while.

I've been involved in muzzleloading for over fifty years and have fired a helluva lot of flint locks including this one--with difficulty. I don't even know if there is any information about this gun on the internet.

The fact that you own one might make some folks call your objectivity into question. It's always the guy who owns one who bleats the loudest when he feels his gun is being disrespected. Even you admit that it isn't the greatest flintlock out there and that it takes patience to set one up to operate reliably. Doesn't sound like a good flintlock for someone new to these locks, does it?

When I post, I always do my level best to post the truth based on my experience. If that truth is not a happy one, well that's the way it is. Some folks only want sunshine and little white clouds in their lives. They see any truth that they don't like or that they disagree with as being negative. If that's the case with you, watch the Disney Channel. The simple fact is that this low cost rifle is NOT a good choice for the BEGINNING flintlock shooter. You yourself agreed with this--albeit inadvertently. It's called the truth--not negativity. :v

I think your being just a bit harsh here. I don't know anything about them and certainly would never own one, but thats my choice. I'd much rather advise him to get Lyman or T/C Flinter based on their track record, something I know nothing about this particular gun.

Flintlocks aren't for everyone.

Sports cars aren't for everyone either.

I happen to like both but I don't expect everyone else to.

As was mentioned, the important thing is to find a muzzleloading gun that you enjoy to shooting and have fun.

Trap, I think I know your problem! They say flint and it sure looks like a cap! My eyes should be good as I passed the tests at the V. A. yesterday. :)

When you bought that gun, did the material tell you that it had a recessed powder chamber, smaller than the diameter of the bore??? Did they tell what the dimension of the powder chamber is? Did they tell you that you have to use FFFg powder and then slap the gun on the side of the lock several times to make powder drop down a very small entrance hole into the powder chamber, and then into the flashchannel that leads from the Touch hole to the center of the rear of the powder chamber? Obviously, the length of that flashchannel varies depending on the diameter of the bore of your gun. All affect getting the gun to go off quickly, and reliably.

That is why we don't think too highly of the gun. Its a true Percussion action that has merely been " converted" to flintlock. You have to work extra hard to get the powder as close to the Touch hole as it normally is in a standard, traditional flintlock rifle, with a flat-faced breechplug! Admittedly, once you know what you are doing, you can shoot the thing. But you won't find those rifles being used to set any records at the NMLRA shoots, either.

If you don't like Flintlocks, fine, then don't shoot them. However, before you condemn the whole breed, please take the opportunity to shoot a better flintlock, one with a properly designed bore, and TH, and a tuned flintlock. Its a world of difference from what you have experienced with that particular gun. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Dang.....

Glad I didn't say that I did not like Fords, or Chevys, or sports cars. This is suppose to be something fun and for people to do to relax, or at least thats what I do it for. Plan on hunting with one this year, putting some other guns to the side to try this out.

I look at this as a weapon that I don't carry everyday, not like my Sig or AR-15. Its suppose to be fun, but it looks like I offended some people.

As Billy Madison would say, "So Sorry!" :v

Speed Trap said:
I mean, i hit the target each time, but it just is not for me. Did well with my percussion though....

Flintlocks do require an extra step or two in the loading process that percussion's do not, and each flintlock has it's own personality as well.

But flintlocks also offer some positive things, they get more than one shot per flint, easier to prime with cold fingers than those little percussion caps and you could find any sparking stone and use it in the lock with a little shaping if you had to whereas once you are out of caps, you are done shooting.

Still, flintlocks are not for everyone and can be intimidating, but they are also a lot of fun, I use to remove my lock from the rifle and load the pan with a few grains of priming powder and go out into the hallway and fire the lock by hand just to set off the smoke detector. (my wife hated when I did that) :rotf:

paulvallandigham said:
When you bought that gun, did the material tell you that it had a recessed powder chamber, smaller than the diameter of the bore??? Did they tell what the dimension of the powder chamber is? Did they tell you that you have to use FFFg powder and then slap the gun on the side of the lock several times to make powder drop down a very small entrance hole into the powder chamber, and then into the flashchannel that leads from the Touch hole to the center of the rear of the powder chamber? Obviously, the length of that flashchannel varies depending on the diameter of the bore of your gun. All affect getting the gun to go off quickly, and reliably.
I disagree with that.I have one that is built with a barrell that way.I think ignition is firstly to do with the Lock quality and secondly with the touchole size and weather it's coned or not.The Breach end of these guns has nothing to do with it.I'd put my Deerstalker up against any flintlock as far as ignition speed goes.

Latest posts

Back