• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flinter shotguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rles221

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all
I need some help trying to find a shotgun. Double barrel flinter. I've seen them and my falther has decided to buy one. We a re looking at low to medium grade guns. Thanks for the help
Rick

As Mike Brooks said, they are not easy to come by and they are not inexpensive. The least I have ever seen one go for was around $2,000 and it wasn't all that great. IF you can find a builder it will be at least $2,500 from what I have seen. IF you can go to Friendship there are usually some there or you can maybe hook up with a builder there. I looked for 3 yrs and finally found one at Friendship. It is by far the most expensive firearm I own.

Othern

I just had one completed. No, they are not cheap to have built. I have looked and looked, myself at Friendship. I never had the luck in finding a good one at a reasonable price. So I had one made to my shooting demensions. I hope to shoot it for the first time soon. It too, is my most expensive gun.

Perhaps the cheapest option is to buy an old percussion double, rebreech it and change the locks :hmm:

Ed Rayle had a very nice one for sale at the CLA Show last August.The price was low in my opinion for what he had.

Mine is the most expensive of the black powder weapons that I have,also.Made by Dave Dodds with engraving by Ron Ehlert.Two sets of barrels...20ga and 16ga by Rayle.

Last edited by a moderator:
James Turpin,, Builds flint doubles.
you can locate him through the "Primitive Arts Video" web page.
[url] www.primitiveartsvideo.com[/url]

The Shotguns he builds, are absolutely beautiful!! I'm lucky enough to live in the area,,and occasionaly get invited to his shop. Turp is a great guy and has taught me a few things,,here and there.
If you give him a shout..Tell him Dagwood sent you.( with a last name like Bumstead,, its an obvious nickname! :haha: )

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input we didnt thing thay would be that hard or expencive to come buy. I think I might just settle for a smooth bore that will do both but thay arent cheap either
thanks for the help
rick

Squire Robin said:
Perhaps the cheapest option is to buy an old percussion double, rebreech it and change the locks :hmm:

That's what I did to get my first one. However, I bought one that was originally flint and had been converted to perc. To change a gun that was made as perc into a flint would not be an easy task IMO. Perc doubles are made with the locks mounted under the barrels and flint doubles are made with the locks mounted beside the barrels. As an example, I have a sxs flint 20ga with tapered plugs that is WIDER through the lock panels than my 8ga perc sxs. It COULD be done but the locks would have to be hand made as I doubt any commercially available locks could be made to work. JMO

Cody

I looked at some of the sits you all sent. I think my wife said keep dreaming. Thanks for the help i didnt relize thay were that expensive.

Back