• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good afternoon all! I have a question about a flintlock I own. It has a Cochran lock dated 1984. I need a frizzen spring for it. The one I have has been broken, welded, retempered and works fine. Theres no problem there but I would like to find a new one. If you have any advice on where to find one, I appreciate it.

Also, I would be interested to know of a lock that could actually replace this one without requiring me to do more inletting.

As a bit of background, I bought this rifle from E. Christopher Firearms in Miamitown, Ohio back in 1988. There is no name on the rifle so I have no idea who made it. If anyone out there has built and sold guns to E. Christopher, (or know someone who did) I would be interested in finding out. I am pretty sure the stock of this gun is ash. I hear thats pretty unusual. Its a full-stock .50 caliber. Maybe thats a clue to someone.

I am currently living in Campbellsville, KY and would like to know of some rifle makers around this area. Any help in locating them would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Bill

Track of the Wolf would be another place that may have what you need.
Good luck.
George

Bill,

Try this guy.

Jim Alvey 915-636-4326.

Its an old contact number, but he had taken over the Cochran locks at one point and may still have some parts laying around. If not you'll either have to make it or get someone else to make it. Might be better to make it anyway. I have one sitting on my desk here I was gonna use for a project. The darned frizzen spring on it is weak. I'm planning to spread it out and reharden it to see if I can get it stiffened up.

Let us know if this works. I might need some parts for this lock one of these days.

Good luck,

Sean

Thanks for the info. I did try and call but the numbers not working anymore. I guess i will try and make my own or replace the entire lock. Any idea a good one that will fit into it's place with the least wood-work?

Back