• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock smooth bores are hard to beat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...My shots are rarely over 50-60 yards ...
Rob,

My high-$$ flint rifle shoots crappy shotgun-like patterns anyway, so I am tempted to try a smooth bore if I can get the same accuracy with easier loading and lighter wt.

What load are you killing deer with at 50-60? Buck and ball? Patched round ball? Can you hit a 8.5X11 sheet of paper at that distance reliably?

yellowhammer out

Last edited:
Rob,

My high-$$ flint rifle shoots crappy shotgun-like patterns anyway, so I am tempted to try a smooth bore if I can get the same accuracy with easier loading and lighter wt.

What load are you killing deer with at 50-60? Buck and ball? Patched round ball? Can you hit a 8.5X11 sheet of paper at that distance reliably?

yellowhammer out
60 gr. 2F , patched round ball fur deer . Knocks the ship outta em ... I love this pic of Michael at the target . He was saying his Fusil I made him was shootin off a bit so I shot it and made the best center shot I ever have in my life . Then reload and he shot the fusil , dead center just under my shot ! Just so frikken awesome ! We left the sights alone ! LOL ! He's a great guy ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206-110412.png
    Screenshot_20230206-110412.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230324-162014~2.png
    Screenshot_20230324-162014~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sightin a Fusil in a made ... Had to keep bending barrel a bit , gotter in there ...
I watched an old time gunsmith bend a 20ga barrel to change POI. He folded a towel on his bench, unbreached the single shot, raised the barrel over his head like chopping wood, and SLAM DOWN on the towel.
He took it outside and used a pattern board. The customer was happy.
Btw, the customer didn't see him adjust the barrel.

Rob,

yellowhammer out
That'll happen if your rear sight is so loose it keeps falling out. You get that fixed yet?

I watched an old time gunsmith bend a 20ga barrel to change POI. He folded a towel on his bench, unbreached the single shot, raised the barrel over his head like chopping wood, and SLAM DOWN on the towel.
Cool ... I like the old times' ways . I just stick mine under my house then try to lift the house , LOL .... Works ! :)

Rob,

yellowhammer out
I'll shoot some 50 yd. groups for ya when I get a chance . Ifn I forget remind me from time to time . I got lots goin on . You want a d@mn good smoothbore barrel for longer shots ,get ahold of Larry Zornes in. Jackson Ohio . Mold and Gun shop . The range officer had to tell me to quit shootin the 75 and 100 yard targets cause that big ole 300 gr. ball was tearing them up ...that aint no B.S. either ! They are great barrels . I dont need 2" groups at 50 yards , if I'm hitting the paper plate at 50-60/I'm fine , with that . I'm not going to try and change my loads , get a them tighter , chase the dragon ...I'm not doin that ...I'm just fine with decent " minute of deer " accuracy . Ole Larry's barrels ....sure surprised the he!! outta me !! Dandy barrels !

That how barrel inspectors at gun factories in the old days used to straighten barrels. They did it by sight.

Love them smoothbores ! Such fun ! :) One of my early builds , N.W. trade gun . Had hardly any $ in it ... Love the dotted ring out the muzzle ! LOL

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back