• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock success

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf465

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My muzzleloader adventures are nothing out of the ordinary but have resulted in trophies to me none the less. 15 years ago, I bought an inline and used it once. To me it was just another single shot rifle (Sabots, powder pellets, etc.). I purchased a percussion Hawken the next year and was hooked. Two years ago, I purchased flintlock and now that is all I use. I harvested a deer last year and two this month with it. Patched round ball, black powder and knapped flint. What an experience. I have shot a lot of big game animals but the ones harvested with the flinter are my true trophies (all antlerless because of the season we have and on my property were my great, great grandpa homesteaded).I am going to drag the percussion shotgun out this spring for turkeys. You can't explain this stuff to people that don't appreciate it.

Echos my own journey the past 18 years....all I've used for everything the past 10 of those years have been Flintlocks for everything, and smoothbores opened up a whole new arena to explore and hunt with...sounds like you're hooked for sure.

I took two turkeys with a .62cal smoothbore Flintlock and wouldn't trade them for 100 turkeys with my Remington 1187......good luck this spring

Lonewolf, good post and food for thought. I've messed with flinters, but hope my new fusile sets the hook. What part of the Earth do you call home? Photos of your gun and harvests would be appreciated.

lonewolf465 said:
You can't explain this stuff to people that don't appreciate it.

And you can't say it any plainer than that.

Congratulations on the success, condolences on the addiction. Or is that, "Welcome to the club?"

Brent

I'm located in the prairie pothole region of eastern South Dakota. I am using a Lyman GPR. Sorry, no photos. Both times I was lying in a hide in the snow wondering about how glad I was I didn't have to do this to survive! We have a lot of snow and the cold this year is not lacking. The things we do to have FUN!

You can't explain this stuff to people that don't appreciate it.

The worst thing you can do is shoot something with a flintlock. Once you do, there is no going back. You are ruined for life. But I don't ever remember anyone complaining.

PJC

I know about that hole in the snow stuff. Believe me. I was sitting in one for hours before I popped a cap on that doe with my underhammer.

There is recovery from flintlockdom. I know, I'm a recovering flintlockaholic and I occasionally experience regression in my recovery, but I do recover - if only temporarily.

:)

Brent

I'll start harvesting with the flinter next hunting season (starts at 1st of may) with my eastern tennessee poor boy made by Roy from a TVM kit.Until now I used my caplock.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back