• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks and Rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum... I'm headed to NY state this year to hunt gobblers the first 3 days of the season. I am determined to get one in NY with my flinter. Of course, the forecast now is for rain all three days. :cursing: Here at home, I have the luxury of selecting my weather over the course of the season, but with just 3 days in NY (and 1/2 days, at that 'cuz turkey hunting ends at noon) I'm going to have to just make the most of it.

Any tips, for a guy who's never taken his flinter out in the rain? Should I be sealing around the frizzen/pan with mink oil or something... change my priming powder regularly... keep the lock covered (I might have a cows knee somewhere). All advise is welcome.

Never had a problem going bang. Changed the powder in my pan maybe 3 times in a full day. Kept the barrel pointed down and the lock under my arm pit with a wide brim hat. Never hunted in a driving rain or downpours but in a steady rain.

The Baron said:
...Here at home, I have the luxury of selecting my weather....

Any tips....

Here's a big tip: Get on out there and do some shooting in the rain. NOW!

Most of what you need to make things work are good habits, with a lot less emphasis on gear and such.

Lots of past threads here on how to make flinters go bang in the rain.

Here's a current illustration: The national weather service reports that we've had 37 inches of rain since January 1, a whopping 13 inches above normal. And we still shoot.

The advise so far is all good. Have tried several techniques including sealing the pan edge (and don't forget to seal around the top of the pan against the barrel side :wink: ); loaded with empty pan with a roll of trade wool in closed pan and prime before shooting; strip of linen and a cow's knee; tucked under arm;and huddled over lock area with wide brimmed hat. All will usually work in steady rain...wind and down-pour is a cast iron gripe! :wink: :haha:

In all honesty this question has been asked so many times it should be a permanent post, but my thoughts are, what critters come out in the rain??????????

Richard Eames said:
...my thoughts are, what critters come out in the rain??????????

Won't know until you're out there.

Long answer is, lots of them.

First hour or two of rain might send them for cover, but they gotta eat and get on with their lives, rather than sitting home in front of the fireplace like a lazy hunter.

Experienced critters also learned a long time ago that wimpy hunters go home when it rains, so they're safer. Rain has the added bonus of softening leaves and underbrush for quiet hunter moves, as the constant low level noise also covers skill breaks. Mix in a little breeze, and it's even easier for the hunter.

If a guy doesn't let inexperience defeat him, he's likely to have some of the best hunting of his life.

Richard Eames said:
In all honesty this question has been asked so many times it should be a permanent post, but my thoughts are, what critters come out in the rain??????????
Unless it is a torrential down-pour, I doubt the animals are bothered to any great degree. The moisture holds down the noise and appears to keep human scent more localized. I've had great success hunting in the rain with the added advantage that other hunters are sitting home complaining that it is raining.

The Baron said:
Should I be sealing around the frizzen/pan with mink oil or something... change my priming powder regularly... keep the lock covered (I might have a cows knee somewhere). All advise is welcome.

Cows knee - yes
Lock covered - yes
Pan sealing - ?? I'd be concerned the grease might seep into the prime.

I use a cows knee that is well-greased and keep the barrel pointed downward. I went one step further and sealed the entire barrel channel and behind the lock with wax ("beeswax" toilet bowl gasket material - it spreads like thick grease) as I'd had moisture migrate into my prime from behind the lock even with a cows knee.

Black Hand said:
Richard Eames said:
Unless it is a torrential down-pour, I doubt the animals are bothered to any great degree. The moisture holds down the noise and appears to keep human scent more localized. I've had great success hunting in the rain with the added advantage that other hunters are sitting home complaining that it is raining.

I spend a lot of time in the woods and live in the woods full time.

Human scent is not a major factor, most big deer are killed by ranchers and farmers while working.

Deer will tolerate small drizzle/mist, but not rain.

Squirrels will not tolerate drizzle or rain.

Birds will not tolerate rain.

Ever watch a cow walk in the rain, they walk with their head down to shield their eyes, they do not like rain.

Animals have to eat, rain or shine they gotta get out and eat. With care and a good lock any weather animals will feed in you can keep a flinter shooting.

Richard Eames said:
Black Hand said:
Richard Eames said:

I spend a lot of time in the woods and live in the woods full time.

Human scent is not a major factor, most big deer are killed by ranchers and farmers while working.

Deer will tolerate small drizzle/mist, but not rain.

Squirrels will not tolerate drizzle or rain.

Birds will not tolerate rain.

Ever watch a cow walk in the rain, they walk with their head down to shield their eyes, they do not like rain.
I can only tell you what I have personally experienced.

I have had deer snort me when I could hear them in the brush but not see them. From inside persimmon groves or thick hickory. Then walk out of the grove with noses in the air snorting and stomping. Looking for me while I put a bead on them.
Had lots of deer come in to my yard in Arkansas with dogs a barking at them.
My wife and I had a swing under a big oak in our yard. On evening we were sitting out there when a coon came out of the woods 30 feet from us, crawled across the yard to grap so dry dog food. Then he started sneaking back to the woods with a mouth full. I yelled at him when he was close to us again. Watched him beat feet.
Most game are more taken by movement over smell.

On the other hand I reckon deer in the Izard woods live closer to people then the wide open spaces of Montana. A deer here will have a hard time ever being more then a mile from a human so are likely less sesitive to human smell.

Black Hand said:
I can only tell you what I have personally experienced.
Mine is about the same. I don't recall ever taking a deer when it was actually raining, although I've hunted them on many rainy days, but I've taken a lot of squirrels and rabbits and one turkey in the rain. When I was trying to find out if I could keep my flintlocks working in the rain, I used squirrel hunting as my lab test. Good work if you can get it.

Spence

Turkeys around here come out in the open fields when its rainin and windy,I see squirrels alot on rainy days too .I beleive a deer can smell just as good on a rainy day as a sunny day ,I know i can. Im glad turkeys cant smell or we would never be able to call one in and kill it .Curt

Dunno bout turkey but here in N AZ I know that elk LOVE rain, not an nch an hour rain, but a drizzle can be the BEST time ti hunt). It keeps em cool among other things. Only draw back in elk hunting in rain is very limited time to track if need be. Not ideal for archery but of all the 30+ elk I have harvested none made it out of sight (including my first archery kill last fall, not raining).

I'd do my best to keep the powder dry or just wait to prime till you got some action and GO HUNTING!

If it is pouring down rain, I will stay inside until it lets up. If I am already out when it starts, I will stay and continue to hunt, or if it is sprinkling I will go. Get a cow's knee and waterproof it. I take a grayon, I like red because it is easy to see, and put down a layer of wax around the pan and touch hole. You could probably use a beeswax stick as well. Keep yer powder dry......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back