• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well a buddy gave me 12 flints tc brand my question is will they work in all flintlocks. Cause i havent even built mine yet?

Are those the sawn ones? I tried some sawn ones and they were okay. Some prefer knapped, but as flint breaks conchoidally, without reference to any grain, I don't think it can make much difference.
:m2c:

PS: Forgot to answer the question :eek:

I think that's a rifle/shotgun sized flint, to small for a musket, to large for a pistol.

They'll work in any flintlock that they fit. You should try to put flints in your lock that are as close to the same width as the frizzen as possible. So, if you had 3 flintlocks and they all had the same size frizzen, you could use the flints in all three guns.

That being said, not all flints are created equal, and while the ones you have will work, you should try others and use the ones that spark the best. I just received 10 hand-knapped English Tom Fuller flints from TOTW, and you'll probably find most people agree these are about the best flints available. They're about $1 a piece, but man they spark like there's no tomorrow. $10 worth, I probably won't need to buy flints for many years unless I start shooting WAY more than I have been.

Well a buddy gave me 12 flints tc brand my question is will they work in all flintlocks. Cause i havent even built mine yet?

Assuming you'll be building somewhat of a normal flintlock, they should work...might not be the perfect size based upon what you build, and from personal experience, I doubt you'd want to buy any after they're gone, but they should work if positioned properly, etc.

Black english flints seem to be the best overall choice considering performance, reliability, longest life, # of shots, price/flint, etc...and the other thing is that they're "the real deal"...they were used way back when.

When buying flints, they are sized based upon width and you just need to measure the width of the frizzen face...ie: I use 3/4" black english flints as the closest match to the width of my frizzen

How many shots should You get out of a good flint like the ones from TOTW ? Thanks ,Jeff I shoot a TC Renigade and Hawkens

Depends on the lock and how well it is set up. I have a Davis lock on my N.W. Tradegun. So far the flint in it has over 35 shots on it, and i finally had to knapp it. But it is still plenty long enought that if it doesn't break for some reason, i should get at least another 30-40 shots, maybe nore, out of it. These are Black English flints.

How many shots should You get out of a good flint like the ones from TOTW ? Thanks ,Jeff I shoot a TC Renigade and Hawkens

Don't know which flints you're referring to...but in my TC flintlocks I average 40-60 shots out of the 3/4" black english flints I buy from October Country [[url] octobercountry.com[/url] ]

Note, all my TC flint locks are the new improved redesigned style...the old style has a reputation for eating flints due to the hammer being to short.

If you've got an old style lock, best possible advice would be to get the improved reliability parts from TC at no charge under lifetime[url] warranty...in[/url] addition, TC's vent liners have also been vastly improved.

My rifles work flawlessly with these redesigned parts and are a joy to shoot...very fast / very accurate

Last edited by a moderator:
Roundball, will the new and improved T/C vent liners fit the older Hawken barrels, say one from 1978? TIA, uncrichie...

Roundball, will the new and improved T/C vent liners fit the older Hawken barrels, say one from 1978? TIA, uncrichie...

Yes, they're replacements for the old screwdriver slotted style with the small hole...they come two to a package for about $5 a pair.

My experience has been:
3/4" black english flints in their current production locks;
Redesigned vent liner;
Goex 4F prime;
Goex 3F/2F main;

Ignition seems instantaneous like a single event...no time for muzzle wander, etc...and they just don't fail...over 3000+ shots now.

PS: I don't know if it's because of the patent breech or the redesigned liner, or a combination of both, but the new style vent is always clear ...I never use a vent pick...it's in the bottom of my shooting box somewhere

Roundball, thank you for that info. Onr more question, I know the black english flints are available in both the square (already cut and shaped like the T/C) or the uncut more traditional shape. Which shape do you use in the T/C Hawken? TIA, uncrichie...

Roundball, thank you for that info. Onr more question, I know the black english flints are available in both the square (already cut and shaped like the T/C) or the uncut more traditional shape. Which shape do you use in the T/C Hawken? TIA, uncrichie...

The only black english flints I've ever seen are the traditional knapped/chipped pieces of real flint rock.

TC's and other "manufactured flints" are some sort of commercial agate flint with "sawed" or "machine cut" edges, and are inferior to black english flints in all areas like # of sparks, # shots/flint, durability/flint life, cost, and the most important of all...black english flints are the real deal...they look the part because they are the part...it's what "they" used...and I'll wager once you start using them you'll never use anything else again.

To put it in perspective, you need to be careful reaching in around a black english flint that's in the jaws of the hammer...they're so sharp they'll nick your fingers like a razor blade...which is why they throw such good sparks...they shave the steel better than the others.

The best way I've found to buy them is in bulk bags of 50 or 100 from[url] octobercountry.com[/url]...tell John & Linda you were referred to them from a muzzleloader message board and are interested in the best bulk price they have for 3/4" Black English Flints
:redthumb:

I just checked out the[url] octobercountry.com[/url] flints, and they're the exact same flints they sell at Track of the Wolf, but Track's has them listed $0.15 cheaper at $1.05/flint. You can buy bulk from Track's, but according to their web site, you have to buy an unopened bag of 250 (in the 3/4" size) for about $215. That's a lot of flints! Who knows... a call to them may give you a discount on less than 250. It's worth a shot. At the bare minimum, I'd tell the folks at[url] octobercountry.com[/url] that I can get them cheaper and see what they can do.

I just checked out the[url] octobercountry.com[/url] flints, and they're the exact same flints they sell at Track of the Wolf, but Track's has them listed $0.15 cheaper at $1.05/flint. You can buy bulk from Track's, but according to their web site, you have to buy an unopened bag of 250 (in the 3/4" size) for about $215. That's a lot of flints! Who knows... a call to them may give you a discount on less than 250. It's worth a shot. At the bare minimum, I'd tell the folks at[url] octobercountry.com[/url] that I can get them cheaper and see what they can do.

You'd need to get similar bulk prices from OC...I think the last bag of 100 I bought from OC last year was $.75 each

RoundBall, TOTW-Flint-Eng 6S, are these the correct ones you were referring too. TIA, Uncrichie...

Roundball, or October Country #59-59618 rifle-3/4". Uncrichie...

:sorry:
I don't know what their item # is...I just call and talk to John or Linda, order a bulk bag(s) of 3/4" black english flints, etc

I just dug out an August'03 invoice from October Country, where I bought that last bulk order of 3/4" flints, and the item # on it is:

59-18618

I talked with October Country...they made price changes on their website and added 50 count bulk bags of flints.

A 50 count bulk bag of 3/4" BEF's now run $.99/each.

Latest posts

Back