• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flushing Flash Chamber w/ Alcohol before Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll put less alcohol in this next time and wait 10-15 min. to let it evaporate. Then I'll wipe some dry patches after that.

The thing about the alcohol is that, if you do it, you should do it right before you start shooting. Not the night before. Or do it right after cleaning but before oiling. If you're gonna leave it sit after the alcohol treatment, run a lubed patch to protect the bore.

Besides drying any moisture out of the barrel by evaporation, it will also dissolve any oil in the bore. If you remove all the oil and then let the gun sit overnight there will probably be some rust on the unprotected bare metal.

Whatever else you end up doing, be sure the bore, flash channel, and nipple are clean and dry before you load any powder. And load with the hammer at half-cock. She'll go off every time. :thumbsup:

I know I'll be doing some shooting this weekend so I'll load my gun with doing nothing prior to loading. I filled the bore with soapy water and cleaned that way. Don't worry I cleaned it how everyone told me to on my "old fashion cleaning" thread and I dried and oiled the gun. I'll definitely make sure to load on half cock and bank powder into the flash channel. Maybe even to make sure no humidity gets to the powder I'll place something over the nipple. And to everybody that commented on this thread I thank you for your responses because what I was going to do as a "pre hunting" procedure wasn't working well.

Alright, I think I got it down! We were going to the farm where we hunt to till up a piece of ground to make a food plot. I got up this morning and loaded my gun at home to wait to shoot it when we got done for the day. Prior to loading the gun is clean and oiled. So I wipe 2 dry patches through the barrel to make sure it's dry. Then I pour my 80 grain deer load and bank the powder into the flash chamber followed by patch and ball. Then I get a cleaning patch covered in my patch grease and run it through the bore. Then I put 5 specks of black powder in the nipple and work it down in there with a nipple pick. I did this to make sure it would go off at the end of the day. Then I block the nipple with some stuff I use to block it when I pour water in the gun to clean. Then about 7 hours later it goes bang with no hesitation. If I do that every time before I go hunting and be consistent I'll have no problems...hopefully. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you have your system all figgered out. :thumbsup: It's a little more complicated than mine, but that's OK as long as it makes you confident. Confidence is a big deal. We'll wait to see them deer pics later. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back