• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flushing the barrel on a percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPalmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to flush/clean the barrel on my Hatfield percussion rifle with some sort of tubing fastened to the nipple. What size tubing would best fit the nipple on my rifle. I bought rubber tubing at Auto Zone, but it didn't even come close to a proper fit. Has anyone tried this instead of removing the barrel from the stock? The barrel flush kits sold by some companies don't mention nipple thread size, or size of the tubing.

Find out what the thread size for the nipple is on your rifle and get a flush kit that includes a threaded piece that screws into the hole the nipple goes in.
You're going to want to remove the nipple to clean it anyhow...while it's out, just screw the flush kit in and go to it.
A percussion nipple has a VERY small hole in it, and I'd not want to count on getting all the crud from the barrel to flush through that tiny aperture and leave my barrel clean...which is what you're doing if you leave the nipple in place and just attach a piece of tube to it.
FWIW: Thompson Center nipple threads are 1/4 x 28 tpi, Most European guns are 6mm.

Go to a Pet Store and get some Fish Tank Air hose.
Then you hafta drill out a nipple, just use the biggest bit you can fit in the nipples neck.

When you go to the pet store, auto parts store, or hardware store, take the nipple with you. Make sure the tubing fits the nipple. You do need to make a dedicated cleaning nipple. That means drilling the hole out to the largest diameter through hole that supports the tube. The small hole in most nipples will block the flushing action needed for cleaning.

A Zerk fitting (available from most hardware stores and all auto parts stores) and a piece of vinyl tubing (availabe in any hardware store) can be use to make a useful flush tube for muzzleloaders.

Zerks are available in all of the common threads used for standard and metric nipples.

ZerkFlushTube1.jpg

Just drill through the center, which contains a ball and small spring.

ZerkFlushTube2.jpg

And attach some tubing with a suitable inside diameter

ZerkFlushTube3.jpg

Screw the unit in the nipple seat.

ZerkFlushTube4.jpg

And flush away.

ZerkFlushTube5.jpg

I have a second jug of warm water handy. After the first flush remove hose from jug and pour water down barrel until fresh clean water comes out end of hose, then insert it into jug and do the final rinse.

John

I've got some 1/4" vinyl tubing, which I bought for some reason not related to barrel cleaning. It fits well over the nipple. Your choices in tubing diameter I would think are pretty limited, but luckily the 1/4" fits standard nipples, if there is such a thing.

I prefer rigid polyethylene/pex tubing as it doesn't turn into a limp spaghetti noodle when exposed to hot water like vinyl tubing does, and go whipping around like a garden hose spraying water all over when you push pressurized water through it.

F5ruPip.jpg

I don't think you necessarily have to have boiling water, warm water will do. At one time, someone offered a cleaning system that I think had the tubing and cleaning nipple and a battery powered pump that circulated the solution throughout the system. My buddy had one, so my memory may be flawed. He used a solution containing Windex, and it did a really good job. Only problem was it ran off the cigarette lighter which means you had to do it outside and near your car.

Gene L said:
I don't think you necessarily have to have boiling water, warm water will do. At one time, someone offered a cleaning system that I think had the tubing and cleaning nipple and a battery powered pump that circulated the solution throughout the system. My buddy had one, so my memory may be flawed. He used a solution containing Windex, and it did a really good job. Only problem was it ran off the cigarette lighter which means you had to do it outside and near your car.
Sounds like a trip to harbor freight to make a pump. :hmm:

I thank everyone for their responses. I have a clear idea of what materials I need to gather together to make cleaning my Hatfield rifle a little easier. I still need to devise a better system for cleaning my TVM .40 caliber flintlock. I really enjoy shooting blackpowder guns, but sure do hate the cleanup when done shooting. I'm always afraid of rust and corrosion. Thanks again for the ideas.

Ya know, once I get a nipple drilled out, I take it to the hardware store and get a little O-ring to fit on the threaded part,, makes a nice seal without having to torque the nipple down with a wrench.

There are a LOT of ways to clean a fixed-barrel flintlock. IF you wish to flush your Flintlock rifle...
Contact Daniel over at Dunlap Woodcrafts. http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/

They have a Flintlock Flush kit that WORKS.

I know..it looks like the one offered by others...but, when properly used..this one don't leak. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Only problem was it ran off the cigarette lighter which means you had to do it outside and near your car."

El cheapo 12v car battery chargers well under $10.

Flush nipple and hose works well whether commercial, semisane's zerk or ????? I recommend against drilling out a shooting nipple - don't want to make a mistake and pop a cap on a loaded gun with that big hole in the nipple. I you do use a shooting nipple please devise a fool proof way of keeping from using it as a shooter.

To keep the hose from flying around and spraying dirty water all around when pushing the cleaning rod down I drilled a hole thru a minie ball, slipped the hose thru and crimped the minie in a vise just enough to slightly egg the tube.
TC

Back