• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For the Want of a Wire Coat Hanger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like many, if not, most of you, we have gotten rid of all of our wire coat hangers over the years. This has been a mistake. I regularly find myself in need of a long, stiff, but flexible, piece of wire that will hold a tight bend. Today is one of those days. I bought a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock that had been used in some movie or another. They shot blank loads of some sub, the one that leaves a heavy grey residue, but a shiny bore underneath. So, I'm scrubbing this barrel out with a tight bronze brush and making good progress. Wanted to really get breech scrubbed, so rod went into cordless drill, something I have done many times. This time, the brush head pulled out of the threaded base. Small brushes won't grab it. Patch puller won't grab it. But you know what would grab it? A straightened wire coat hanger with a small hook bent on the end. This makes me crazy, as the bore is cleaning up nicely. A little more work with the Scotchbrite pad strips and it will be good to go. IF I can get that brush head out!

Attachments

• 20240803_112306.jpg
    20240803_112306.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I don't know what the caliber of your barrel is but a 5/16" or 3/8" wood dowel with a finishing nail driven in and epoxied in the end and turned into a hook should do what you want it to do.

Like many, if not, most of you, we have gotten rid of all of our wire coat hangers over the years. This has been a mistake. I regularly find myself in need of a long, stiff, but flexible, piece of wire that will hold a tight bend. Today is one of those days. I bought a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock that had been used in some movie or another. They shot blank liads of some sub, the one that leaves a heavy grey residue, but a shiny bore underneath. So I'm scrubbing this barrel out with a tight bronze brush and making good progress. Wanted to really get breech scrubbed, so rod went into cordless drill, something I have done many times. This time, the brush head pulled out of the threaded base. Small brushes won't grab it. Patch puller won't grab it. But you know what would grab it? A straightened wire coat hanger with a small hook bent on the end. This makes me crazy, as the bore is cleaning up nicely. A little more work with the Scotchbrite pad strips and it will be good to go. IF I can get that brush head out!
Ha! I always have one or two, so I'm vindicated!

Guess you missed that bore brushing thread. Haha, Just messing with you. Don't worry though they are cutting out all the plastic, they started with straws. I fear that since the brush pulled out it may be wedged in there pretty good. Try shooting it out. If that don't work you can get field fence wire. They use it to brace up corner posts on field fences. It may just work. Being from the Big Sky state you probably already know about that wire.

Guess you missed that bore brushing thread. Haha, Just messing with you. Don't worry though they are cutting out all the plastic, they started with straws. I fear that since the brush pulled out it may be wedged in there pretty good. Try shooting it out. If that don't work you can get field fence wire. They use it to brace up corner posts on field fences. It may just work. Being from the Big Sky state you probably already know about that wire.
Well, I'm actually in Arkansas, but we have fences here, too. I think I have a strand of wire that came off the top of my dog fence. Being a flintlock, I will have to get some penetrating oil around the vent liner. If it was percussion, I would have already shot it out.

Back